Opinions, Audi S5 (3.0T)

Starting to look at options for replacing my VW CC. Want a convertible and AWD so really narrows it down for me. Been lurking around over on Audizine and the 3.0T motor seems pretty reliable. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at 2015-2017 models. Would love to find one in sepang blue.

here we go again! :tup:

1 Like

I am sure you have read up on the known small issues, nothing super bad that I can recall.
If I can add anything, make sure you get one with the sports diff option ( if I recall correctly you can tell if it has it by a button next to the cd/dvd drive in the middle of the dash). Also get one with the B&O stereo, these two options are must haves in my opinion and of course being a manual trans :wink:

Good read here if you haven’t already: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/673319-The-Ultimate-B8-B8-5-New-Member-s-Guide-(Specs-FAQs-amp-DIYs)-Read-First!

Yeah, seen the little things. Electrical gremlins here and there, the water pump just like my 2.0T had issues with. But overall the 3.0T (funny they call it a T even though it’s supercharged not turbo) seems very solid. Definitely going to be an auto-trans though because the convenience of being able to grab the wife’s SUV at any time and have her take my car > driving a manual. Teaching her to drive stick went just about as well as teaching her to ski. Neither were ever going to happen. :slight_smile:

Will check out that link you posted.

1 Like

I hear ya, If I recall correctly the newer the DSG trans the better as with most cars/manufacturers

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/666702-DL501-Differences-between-Gen-1-Gen-1-5-and-Gen-2

Gear box info:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-(DL501)

Would definitely be a gen 2 since the oldest I’d go is 2015. All kinds of info in that second link. :+1:

Sports diff and B&O sound system then.

Why not just get a “Civic”;

1 Like

I don’t want that kind of money tied up in a depreciating asset like a daily driven car. I can get into a nice 2015-2017 S5 cabriolet for about half what a similar year/miles 911 Carrera 4 cabriolet costs. And honestly, that’s probably still too much money for anyone with common sense. :slight_smile:

Plus the Carrera’s back seats are basically useless and I where would I put my skis? With one of the S5 seats folded down skis aren’t an issue.

1 Like

Stop making excuses for why you can’t, start making excuses for why you can. :smirk:

1 Like

Bump

Booked my flight to Atlanta to pick this up Friday.

2015 S5 Cabriolet, 20k miles, CPO
Has tech package, sport diff and the B&O stereo so @Jeller will be proud.

image image

1 Like

Noice!!

Nice!

Check the wheels to make sure they don’t have “worm marks” on the diamond / machine turned faces. I found out the hard way that wheels like this can turn to shit quick and repair isn’t cheap. Basically the clear has a hard time adhering to the turned surface and water gets behind it. Eventually the clear comes off.

Thanks for the heads up. I have hires shots of each wheel and they look good.

2 Likes

That looks really nice man, love the blue. Is that Sepang? one of my favorites.

Good Job :+1:

Yep, Sepang blue. That’s why I’m flying to Atlanta. These do not come up very often, especially with everything I wanted on it.

are you keeping it stockish or modding it?

i saw a gorgeous S4 yesterday, red, lowered with a nice stance and lots of carbon splitters front, rear, trunk lip etc. nice enough to follow around just to look at.

Keeping it stock while it has a warranty. :slight_smile:

Very nice and congrats!
How painful is getting the temporary transport tags and buying a vehicle out of state?

Super easy, barely an inconvenience (Pitch Meeting youtube reference). The GA dealer does all the paperwork for NY, collects the NY sales tax and slaps a temporary GA tag on it. A week or so later my new plates come in the mail.

This is my 3rd out of state purchase through a dealer (PA, NC, and now GA). Only time it was an issue was with the wife’s Enclave from PA because we hit a massive rain storm on the way home and the cardboard temporary tag that they had bolted in like a license plate got soggy and fell off. Dealer ended up overnighting me a dealer tag to ride around on until NY got my real plate delivered.