# should i wait till next summer?

**URL:** <https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911>\
**Category:** SON240sx Automotive\
**Created:** [July 10, 2008, 8:21pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911 "2008-07-10T20:21:23Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 20\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![em\_5ive](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/em_5ive/32/5707_2.png) [@em\_5ive](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/em_5ive)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 8:21pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/1 "2008-07-10T20:21:23Z")

</div>

Hey guys. I just really need some input. I had just recently bought my 240, about a month ago. I really have loved the car since my friend had one in highschool a few yrs back. I guess you could say it was an impulse buy, it was my 20th bday, recently up’d my credit card to $5000 limit. and bought the car. Now im paying the car off and it basically just in my garage.(except when i take it for drives in my neigbourhood) Looked around for insurance and could not find anything below $500/ month. so here are my two options.

1)Store it in the garage until next summer. All my tickets will be gone and insurance drops to the $300 range. i can focus on payin the car off and start to work on some mods. TTC to save money. (i HATE ttc).

2)My Uncle has offered to transfer the car under his ownership. I’d have to pay for all the fees, taxes, cert & etest, etc. (anyone know how much this cost?), and eventually pay him monthly to pay his insurance. the positive is its only $75/month and i get to DRIVE IT! negatives are i would not be building up my insurance as i wont be mentioned in his insurance. my monthly cost for commuting would be taking money from starting my mods, as opposed to transit. AND id be driving it during the winter.

Its really hard to see it just sitting there in the garage. i really want to drive it but which decision is smarter/beneficial? any input is great. THANKS!

here is a pic  
 ![http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7893/img2255yt4.jpg](http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7893/img2255yt4.jpg)

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Solarian](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/solarian/32/5514_2.png) [@Solarian](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/Solarian)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 8:26pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/2 "2008-07-10T20:26:12Z")

</div>

I vote for the third option of sell it to me.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![purposebuilt](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/p/90ced4/32.png) [@purposebuilt](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/purposebuilt)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 8:30pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/3 "2008-07-10T20:30:21Z")

</div>

Have your uncle add you as an additional/occassional driver on the car… and that way it might be a slightly higher but you’d be building your insurance…

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![D\_Fresh](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/d_fresh/32/5542_2.png) [@D\_Fresh](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/D_Fresh)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 8:38pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/4 "2008-07-10T20:38:16Z")

</div>

Car insurance rapes you in the beginning

thats just the way it is.

the only thing you have to decide is if you want to bend over now or later.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![simplemind7](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/s/0ea827/32.png) [@simplemind7](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/simplemind7)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 9:17pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/5 "2008-07-10T21:17:44Z")

</div>

have you called bel air direct?, i’m also 20, my driving record isn’t the best looking thing (accident and 2 minor tickets) and my insurance is $220 a month, everywhere else is $350-400 or more.

if you can’t get reasonable insurance, i’d just store the car, fix anything that it needs and get it 100% ready for next year as soon as the snow is gone

get your credit card paid off before you start buying mods for it, you’ll regret it next summer when you still owe a bunch to the CC company, hah. been there, done that… well currently doing that.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![DJPyro](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/d/278dde/32.png) [@DJPyro](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/DJPyro)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 10:37pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/6 "2008-07-10T22:37:01Z")

</div>

Buying a car with a credit card “loan” is stupid.

Posting in the FAQ is stupid, how the hell were you even able to? (Gonad, wtf kinda permissions are these)

Wait until you can afford to drive the car before you buy it?

The smarter decision would be sell it and TTC until you can afford to own a car, or sell it and buy something cheaper on insurance, or just ignore everyone’s advice on here 'cause we’re all just big assholes, right?

Oh yeah, and IBTL.

(Crossposted for good measure)

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Pants](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/pants/32/5590_2.png) [@Pants](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/Pants)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 11:24pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/7 "2008-07-10T23:24:56Z")

</div>

> [@Ceramic coating in a can??](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/ceramic-coating-in-a-can/17605/6):
>
> Buying a car with a credit card “loan” is stupid.
> 
> Posting in the FAQ is stupid, how the hell were you even able to? (Gonad, wtf kinda permissions are these)
> 
> Wait until you can afford to drive the car before you buy it?
> 
> The smarter decision would be sell it and TTC until you can afford to own a car, or sell it and buy something cheaper on insurance, or just ignore everyone’s advice on here 'cause we’re all just big assholes, right?
> 
> Oh yeah, and IBTL.
> 
> (Crossposted for good measure)

ur just jelous because his car isnt full of rust

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![touge8](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/d6d6ee/32.png) [@touge8](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/touge8)\
**Post date:** [July 10, 2008, 11:41pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/8 "2008-07-10T23:41:22Z")

</div>

lol, funny… because i (impulse) bought my car around my 20th b-day as well.

Best advice i can give you man… “Patience is a virtue”

In your situation, the negatives outweigh the positives:

To drive it now, the _only_ benefit is the low insurance ($75).  
Downfalls, there will be more expenses to endure… all of which will take up 80-90 percent of your income. If the underbody is mint now, you won’t want to drive it in the winter “trust me”, and on top of that, if you endure the ttc for while, not only can you use that saved money more usefully, but you can also pay for your own insurance which will build up…

What could and may end up happening is that you may end up using all your job money to pay for insurance and gas… and end up _only_ being able to drive the car, barely able to maintain it, and not enjoying it at all (modding, racing, etc.)…JUST LIKE ME, lol.

I learned my lesson, im not driving it once november hits, and even after winter is over i will not drive it until i can fully manage the responsibility AND get what i want out of the car.

HEED MY ADVICE… oh, and GL man, nice car BTW.:thumleft:

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![em\_5ive](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/em_5ive/32/5707_2.png) [@em\_5ive](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/em_5ive)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 5:56am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/9 "2008-07-11T05:56:04Z")

</div>

Hey thanks for your help! to answer i few replies, sorry solarian but no third option. lol. i will attempt to be added on as an occasional driver, but we live at different addresses so not sure if that will work. havent decided when to bend over yet. i tried bel-air and got quoted $510 actually the cheapest i found, along with kingsway. pyro it isnt that stupid when it cost me $2500 with 163000 mileage. currently have $2000 left to pay. pantaloons, you’re a joker. lol ryan, followin in your footsteps. i really appreciate the posts and i will HEED YOUR ADVICE! the poll is at 50/50 right now. omg. pce

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![DJPyro](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/d/278dde/32.png) [@DJPyro](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/DJPyro)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 7:03am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/10 "2008-07-11T07:03:01Z")

</div>

> [@Hey Snowboard Peeps](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/hey-snowboard-peeps/17603/8):
>
> ur just jelous because his car isnt full of rust

Something like that…:S

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Hurricane](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/h/e9bcb4/32.png) [@Hurricane](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/Hurricane)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 7:36am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/11 "2008-07-11T07:36:25Z")

</div>

I agree with DJ, why waste copious amounts of money you obviously don’t have on something you can’t even use.

Sell the car… but another one when it doesn’t cost you 19% interest. Those savings alone will allow you to afford insurance.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![PureEuroM3](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/p/3bc359/32.png) [@PureEuroM3](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/PureEuroM3)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 8:35am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/12 "2008-07-11T08:35:12Z")

</div>

How is the car, rust, mileage, problems etc? If the car is in good shape don’t sell unless you have to, you may never find a clean one again. I bought mine and didn’t drive it for a good 5 months before I put it on the road but I know a few people can vouch for my old S14 rustwise.

Consider it an investment, Goodluck.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Nate\_Drake](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/nate_drake/32/5704_2.png) [@Nate\_Drake](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/Nate_Drake)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 9:45am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/13 "2008-07-11T09:45:23Z")

</div>

first thing i would do i keep on shopping around for insurance. i pay 300 for my cavalier and 240sx. with ing

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![240rex](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/2/54ee81/32.png) [@240rex](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/240rex)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 10:10am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/14 "2008-07-11T10:10:37Z")

</div>

$500 for full coverage or liability?

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![em\_5ive](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/em_5ive/32/5707_2.png) [@em\_5ive](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/em_5ive)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 11:27am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/15 "2008-07-11T11:27:57Z")

</div>

The car is great. runs good. 163000km. rust only under the passenger side mirror and hatch but repairing the hatch anyways since i removed the spoiler. thx for the goodluck. nice i had a cavalier. sold it. $500 for just liability. this is going to be my first insurance ever. I know people are goin to say i should have built insurance since i turned 16 as secondary, i wanted to but that wasnt an option. my dad has two cars and my mom doesnt drive, so i would be automatically put as primary on one of the household cars when im 16! best bet is to wait till im 25 to start insurance ☹

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![DJPyro](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/d/278dde/32.png) [@DJPyro](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/DJPyro)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 11:54am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/16 "2008-07-11T11:54:37Z")

</div>

No best bet is to start it on something with dirt cheap insurance costs to build a history, then when you hit 25 you can afford insurance on something decent.

I was insured as a secondary for 5 years, plus driving school and a clean record, I’m currently insured at 23, on my 91 HB for about $120/month for minimum coverage. Last year I was paying a bit less but I switched to a local carrier and decided the extra $5/month was worth the convenience.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Solarian](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/solarian/32/5514_2.png) [@Solarian](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/Solarian)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 1:32pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/17 "2008-07-11T13:32:26Z")

</div>

Just bite the bullet and get insured. This year or next year is up to you. You’ll be paying shit rates until you have your OWN policy. I was insured for awhile as secondary under my parents, and my rates were garbage. After having my own policy for one year, I got $150/mth premium reduction. Next year, another $80/mth off. I pay like $280 a month for full coverage on my G coupe right now, and I’m sure it’d be under $200 for an S13. That’s with one at fault accident, and being under 25. Having your own policy, and not fucking up for a few years will give you the best reductions, nothing else will come close.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![em\_5ive](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/em_5ive/32/5707_2.png) [@em\_5ive](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/em_5ive)\
**Post date:** [July 11, 2008, 2:03pm UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/18 "2008-07-11T14:03:33Z")

</div>

Thanks alot guys. i will outweight the pros and cons. if only i had the option of going as secondary. thanks for taking part in the poll. 🙂

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![touge8](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/d6d6ee/32.png) [@touge8](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/touge8)\
**Post date:** [July 13, 2008, 2:18am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/19 "2008-07-13T02:18:39Z")

</div>

no worries man. keep us updated on whats going on…

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![RED\_LINE](https://yyz2.discourse-cdn.com/flex034/user_avatar/forums.speedlife.net/red_line/32/5656_2.png) [@RED\_LINE](https://forums.speedlife.net/u/RED_LINE)\
**Post date:** [July 13, 2008, 11:32am UTC](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911/20 "2008-07-13T11:32:30Z")

</div>

> [@FS- 215/60R16 Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip Ice Snow Tires](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/fs-215-60r16-goodyear-eagle-ultra-grip-ice-snow-tires/17572/3):
>
> have you called bel air direct?, i’m also 20, my driving record isn’t the best looking thing (accident and 2 minor tickets) and my insurance is $220 a month, everywhere else is $350-400 or more.
> 
> if you can’t get reasonable insurance, i’d just store the car, fix anything that it needs and get it 100% ready for next year as soon as the snow is gone
> 
> get your credit card paid off before you start buying mods for it, you’ll regret it next summer when you still owe a bunch to the CC company, hah. been there, done that… well currently doing that.

lmao, bro how are you paying $220/month whereas I’m paying $290 a month?  
clean record, G, \>1yr insurance record, primary driver.🆒

[Next page](https://forums.speedlife.net/t/should-i-wait-till-next-summer/116911.md?page=2)
