Tesla Model S: 0-60 in 2.5s, 762HP (Now w/ Fart Mode)

Great comparison :lol:

Lets talk about weather, vibration, humidity, temp swings, moving 6000lbs

The pop out handles seem like they would be a problem in the winter with ice buildup. Also all new the tech packaged into those cars seems like it could be problematic.

Mine have seen all of that. :slight_smile: Let’s talk number of moving parts too.

but… uhh… no one goes to Eastern Hills Mall…

The motors that I am currently working with are 500hp and handle not only vibration but harmonics caused by pipe traveling over rollers at high rates of speed. They are also frequently “Braked” electrically if someone opens a gate or gets too close to the line. They are in close proximity to an induction furnace and have been wired with cable capable of withstanding 180*c. The load that they carry is close but not quite as large as the car. Electric motors are super versatile and incredibly resilient. As long as the proper over current protection is in place they last forever. And when something bad happens and they get a hot spot (still functioning, but with reduced performance) it is much simpler to replace the windings in an electric motor than it is to replace a bent rod in a combustion motor.

Teslas are very pretty cars, well designed, and the company has quite a story. In an industry with a ridiculous amount of barriers to entry, it’s awesome to see the progress they have made with their top-down business model. I’m out by Eastern Hills all the time… I have never noticed the supercharging station! I’ll have to take a closer look today… that’s pretty cool.

Having said that, these cars just don’t do it for me. Half the fun of a performance car is the soundtrack that comes with it. Just hearing the wind takes quite a bit of the rush away.

I’m sure there are several Tesla owners in the north towns that appreciate it being there. And the Red P85 that was at C&C last month used it after driving down from Toronto.

They do have a sound to them, it’s not just wind. It’s almost like a subtle supercharger noise in the cabin. Granted it’s not going to win a loud pipes contest but I was surprised to hear it.

This thing is wild:

^^^Doubles as a sex toy…

https://youtu.be/bn1uzAJk-6o

I’m 100% for autonomous driving cars, but that has to be a fucking joke.

lol, clearly a joke. However if you need to run into somewhere quick and can tell the car to circle the block while you’re inside to avoid having to find a spot, that could actually be useful.

speaking of such technology I wonder whatever happened to the Audi auto parking system where you get out of your car at the entrance to a building and it would park itself in a parking garage somewhere. That would be awesome to have.

For what it is worth. Same motor in many cars but different software?!?!? That could be some sweet tuning potential for lesser electrics.

If it brings down the costs :tup:

This could be the new LS1 swap…

Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Pretty awesome. So if you drive really slow you can avoid range anxiety:

two Tesla fans recently pushed the P85D version of the Model S way past those limits in what appears to be a world record, reaching 452.8 miles (728.7 kilometers) before running out of electrons.

its getting there - from the Tesla website:

“AutopilotAutopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors with real time traffic updates to automatically drive Model S on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic. Changing lanes becomes as simple as a tap of the turn signal. When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park itself. Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes. Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.2, adding automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning.”

I can’t tell you how much I have warmed up to this car.