Tesla Model S: 0-60 in 2.5s, 762HP (Now w/ Fart Mode)

The nice part about the electric is that it can be programed very specifically so that it doesn’t spin tires. So it IS traction limited, but I’m sure the driver doesn’t have to worry about it. It’s probably got the best launch control system out there.

I don’t see how it would be theoretically possible to get better performance out of the available traction with anything other than an electric car. Now, independent motors for each tire would of course be better, although I doubt the improvement is more than a few percent unless you’re on exceptionally challenging terrain. The Tesla still has open diffs and uses the brakes to control wheel spin, and that system is going to have some considerable latency. But I would imagine the impact there is trivial under most normal straight line conditions.

The really novel thing about the approach in the Model S, is the two BLDC motors by their very nature, can not spin uncontrollably unless you get sloppy with the programming. The motor power electronics are physically required to know the rotor position and transition power to the next phase, or else the motor locks up. Since it always knows the rotor position, and the motor physically will not advance without the power electronics acknowledging the position and advancing the power to the next winding, it’s not possible to get acceleration beyond precisely what is programmed. This is not a system that ‘reacts’ to slip after it occurs, it means that with proper programming, it is physically not possible to get into a condition where the tires just light up and require some sort of intervention that takes both considerable time and power to fix. It’s got to be exceptionally close to the peak acceleration that’s possible in those conditions. I would imagine they still have a bit left on the table, even with the current motor. They claim to have done a dramatic revision to the cooling system as well, so hopefully it can sustain high power levels longer as well. I suspect the pack is going to have lower impedance in the P100, which should also contribute to more consistent times as the pack depletes.

… makes at least 588 horsepower at the wheels, and 920 lb-ft of torque.

Spinning on the dyno even when starting from a 30mph roll.

In our testing, no production car has ever cracked 2.3 seconds from 0 to 60 mph. But Tesla has, in 2.275507139 second- pulled from motor trend.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2017/2017-tesla-model-s-p100d-first-test-review/amp/ Full article

Tesla mobile sales office in Mammoth California a few days ago…

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37064&stc=1

haha nice. I am going up there this weekend, wonder if it will be up still.

Model 3 stats

Quick Bolt v. Model 3
Range: 238 > 215
0-60 time: sub 7sec < 5.6

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/4264fdb8e1406fbbdd220c6684ff69c6/205308543/full.jpg

That premium features list better get some additions to it. I doubt they would want to leave it so basic and not take advantage of the up charges on options. Plus I really want the air suspension.

I thought Teslas were cool I spent a few days in Seattle/Redmond and every other car is a Tesla is pretty much the Civic of the area.

How does Tesla cover warranty issues? Haven’t read this entire thread however.

From what I’ve read, you call in the issue and they will send a technician with a truck and trailer with I believe a loaner tesla and they take yours. Only guess as the open position for a mobile technician lists must be able to drive a truck with a 20ft trailer.

Humm interesting, that can’t be long term sustainable.

• Updated - - -

They can show up to your house, dispatched from the nearest dealer to you, at a cost of $3.00/mile. They can only perform certian services on location. In order to keep the warranty, you have to have your car serviced every 10,000miles at a cost of $800.00 per visit (to the dealer).

I was was really close to picking up a new Model S, until I found out what a bitch all this unseen stuff is. I drive 30,000miles a year, so there’s an additional $2,400.00/year just for me to keep my warranty. $4,425.00(est, if they dispatch out of the Pittsburgh location) if they show up on location to service it.

Apparently, wheel alignments are a “very important part of scheduled services”, which has to be done at the dealer. These few nuances steered me away until they put up a dealer in Buffalo or Rochester.

Financially, for me it’s a wash. I spend, say, $3,900.00/year on fuel. So, the money spent on having a Tesla serviced annually for me is roughly the same as money spent on fuel, maybe more if I want them to show up at home. Plus, spending $91,000.00 on a nicely equipped P75D is a little ridiculous.

@ultradriver10000 sooooo much shit at the end. I’ve heard enough twang for the next 6 months, lol.

Car is awesome :tup:

Yeah, so semi gutted on a tire it’ll run a 10.2.

AAA plans to boost insurance rates on Tesla electric vehicles by about 30 percent. AAA, which is citing data from the Highway Loss Data Institute for its decision, says drivers of Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles make about 45 percent more claims than other larger luxury vehicles, Automotive News says. Meanwhile, costs related to such repairs are about twice as much as similar, more conventional vehicles.

Next the government will need to subsidize the insurance costs for customers, lol.

Buyers of Tesla’s upcoming Model 3 car will only get two choices in configuration, a policy that will let the company quickly ramp up production of its mass-market vehicle, Chief Executive Elon Musk told investors on Tuesday.

“You just need to decide what color you want and what size wheels, at least for the initial production,” Musk told shareholders at an annual meeting in Silicon Valley.

Hummmmm… No performance version? I certainly get why they’re doing it but if this is going to be a boring commuter and ONLY a commuter I’m less psyched about it.