The Rapid Move To All Electric (But Real Goal = No Personal Cars)

Y’all are overlooking solid state batteries. Buy a bunch of QS and have your retirement all set.

But to a bunch of your points the current cars are not made for road tripping. Either have a second gas powered vehicle or rent something. We’ve never charged our tesla anywhere but home.

1 Like

If I had to get a commuter car for short distance I’d get a Tesla. But there are too many times I need to drive long distance, and to places without fast enough charging.

There appear to be vehicles on the horizon with 500+ range, but that only gets me there.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-unveils-toughest-ever-car-emissions-rules-bid-force-electric-vehicle-purchases

Edit:
Lithium prices are coming back down to earth.
Hope it holds so I don’t get hammered with 7 figure cost overruns.

(upload://4b1FTe5nMNI3OYa9Xxn6VrGbr8V.jpeg)

Lithium carbonate prices sank by 60% year-to-date to under CNY 215,000 in April, the lowest in 17 months, as robust output and weak demand continued to raise expectations of a supply surplus this year. The Chinese government ended cash subsidies for households purchasing new energy vehicles, pressuring demand for battery-powered vehicles and increasing stocks throughout the country. The overproduction of batteries at the end of 2022 to take advantage of subsidies also attributed to the unsustainable inventory growth and prompted the sale of goods at a steep discount, with sharp capacity cuts in all streams of the supply chain. The bearish outlook persisted in the near term despite the EU’s decision to phase out carbon-emitting cars by 2035 and reports on processing rate reductions from multiple carbonate producers. Furthermore, Reuters said that Chinese manufacturers agreed on a price floor of CNY 250,000 per tonne to combat the slump.

1 Like

4/10/23… “EV’s so heavy parking garages may collapse”

4/18/23… “Parking garage in NYC collapses, cause unclear”

Well now…

Electric cars are pretty fucking gay, so it tracks.

1 Like

Which means someone just needs to hack the existing system…

True, but imagine messing this up. The EPA is already tracking down and fining truck modders who remove emissions controls from their diesel trucks.

In this perfect utopia, your vehicle knows it’s been hacked and reports your increased “performance” to the local highway department where they calculate it’s environmental impact. Then the authorities increase your state mandated milage tax by .05%

That scenario is probably going to happen in our lifetime.
Maybe i should invest in Holley to make a fortune when carbs make a comback.

Car manufactures looked at the gaming world and they’re starting to copy that model. You used to buy a 100% complete fully functional game, where as now you basically get a shell of the game and have to complete it buying several packs of DLC. 10 years from now you’ll be buying a roller and paying monthly sub’s to keep it a functional car.

1 Like

Its going to look like Cuba here I’m telling you. Everyone will keep and restore their old cars forever.

1 Like

Except for the fact that you can’t do that with modern cars. You can keep a 50’s chevy running forever because it’s so simple. Good luck doing that with a 2023 F150.

awe there is plenty of 90s and early 2000s cars out there that are simple enough.

Even a 2023, I can run the engine off a stand alone ECU and get it moving down the road easy enough.

People are buying panels before knowing if they can connect to the grid?

In one case, energy provider Xcel told a Minnesota customer it would take 15 years to connect a rooftop solar system to the company’s grid.

@JayS can you install panels and NOT connect to the grid? Is that even an option?

You’d just need a battery to use the panels without being tied into the grid. The grid just makes it a lot cheaper to install because instead of storing your power in an expensive battery you just feed it back into the grid and get credits.

2 Likes

I’m sure the lady that took out a $30K loan for the solar doesn’t have the extra cash sitting around to toss in 8-10K worth of batteries tho.