SWERVE MOTORSPORTS: Honda/Acura OBD I ECU Chipping

Swerve Motorsports is now offering Honda/Acura OBD I ECU chipping and conversion parts as well as install services!

For those of you who are already familiar with these parts and procedures, below are prices of parts and services we now offer. For those of you who have never heard of this or just only know a little about it, please scroll past the pricing and read the information below to find out what this is all about and if it’s right for your setup.

ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS REGUARDING ECUS AND CHIPPING SERVICES - PLEASE PM ME ONLY

Supported OBD I ECUs Include: P05, P06, P74, P75, PR4, P08, P28, P30, P61, P72

CHIPPING: $65 Installed or $30 for the parts required to DIY
Our chipping install + kits include a 28 pin DIP socket, 28 pin ZIF (zero insertion force) socket (which is the more $$ kind for easy installation and removal of chips without bending the pins), CMOS latch, 4 pin header for datalogging, and the required resistors and capacitors. Also included will be 1 27SF512 Programmable chip (which is reprogrammable).

ADDING VTEC: $30 Installed or $20 for the parts required to DIY
Applies to the following ECUs: P05, P06, P74, P75, and PR4
This will convert any of the above mentioned ECUs to support a motor which has VTEC. In simpler terms, let’s say you have a chipped P06 controlling your non-vtec motor and you decide to swap in a vtec motor and you don’t want to purchase a new ECU to control it. Here’s your answer, you need this conversion.

AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL: $Free with chipping! $10 without chipping
Applies to all automatic ECUs in the supported list above
This converts your automatic ECU into a 5-speed configuration

MANUAL TO AUTOMATIC: $30 Installed or $20 for the parts required to DIY
Converts your 5-Speed ECU into and automatic configuration

1 WIRE TO 4/5 WIRE O2 SENSOR: $10 Installed or $5 for the parts required to DIY
This is used to enable the O2 sensor heater circuit which is not enabled for 1 wire O2 sensors

SPARE PARTS:
Already have a chipped ECU but need parts and don’t want to pay shipping and wait for the mailman to come? We got what you need.

Blank 27SF512 chips - $5 each or 3 for $12 (Larger quantities - pm me)
Datalogging header - $2 each
28 Pin ZIF socket - $10 each
Any other random part you may need - pm me

BASEMAPPING
Includes 1 27SF512 Chip
Any Stock ECU Program - $20
Any Modified ECU Program - $30 (must include motor specs, injector brand and size, fuel pressure, and map sensor being used)
NOTE For modified ECU programming: This is a basemap ONLY. The purpose it is supposed to serve is to get your car running so you can drive it to your tuner and/or tuning shop. It is not meant to be used at WOT (Wide open throttle) under any circumstance, especially under boosted conditions. I will not be held responsible if you blow your motor due to you driving you car hard on a basemap tune. The base tune will be set very conservatively and if driven on over time will cause shortened life of certain components such as O2 sensors, catalytic convertors, etc.

STREET TUNING: Not Yet Available.
I know many of you are interested in getting tuned. Please don’t PM me yet regarding tuning. I will update this post and make a new one if and when this service becomes available. Please visit another one of our forum sponsers of NYSpeed, Innovative Tuning, for your tuning needs.

PRE-TUNING INSPECTION: $Hourly
Before visiting a tuning shop, we highly recommend a full inspection of your car, especially when running a boosted setup. A mechanically deficient car CAN NOT be properly tuned. So please save yourself and your tuner some time, money, and headaches by having your car looked over for mechanical failures such as vac/boost leaks, timing, improper wiring or faulty electronics, etc. When street tuning does become available through Swerve Motorsports, the pre-tuning inspection will be mandatory if you want to be tuned. Our prices are extremely fair and we typically go above and beyond to fix any issues your car may have.

EBAY TURBO KITS
If you have installed any cheap Ebay turbo kit, we will NOT even look at your car. We will still chip your ECU, but will refuse to even make a basemap for it. Cheap Ebay kits are junk and break a lot. There are other ways to piece together a cheap turbo kit, and I suggest you do that instead.
Bottom line: Cheap ebay turbo kit = take your business somewhere else.

HOW-TO INFORMATION:
Before you hit that PM button to ask me how to do any of this work so you don’t have to pay for installation, visit http://forum.pgmfi.org/
All the answers to your questions are on that website.
If you are still asking me how to install this stuff after you visited the above site, you haven’t spent enough time reading. Since time is money and I have spent the time reading hours on end, if you want to know how to do a specific install and are too lazy to find it yourself, it is going to cost you a small fee which I will happily forward to the creators of all this good information for providing myself and many others with the knowledge to do all of this. For 95% of the people interested in ECU chipping, I’ll honestly tell you it’s much easier and cheaper to just have it all done for you. :slight_smile:

NEWBIE INFO ON ECU CHIPPING
Before you go wasting your time away reading, let’s first start with the “who?”

Who does OBD I ECU chipping apply to?
All Honda/Acura Vehicles from 1989 - 2001 which use a B, D, H, or F series motor. If you fit that criteria, keep reading. All 92-95 Hondas/Acuras are equipped with OBD I ECUs. However, older and newer vehicles can be adapted to accept the chipped OBD I ECUs by getting a commercially available conversion harness (typically under $100).

Why do I want my ECU chipped?
The answers here are endless. In a nutshell, you get a standalone fuel management system with a ton of extra features for about 1/4 the price of other systems such as Hondata. Chipping will allow a tuner to adjust the air/fuel ratio and timing maps which is extremely important to any performance build and a must for boosted applications. You can also add features such as changing rev limiter, launch control, no lift to shift, and vtec engagement point just to name a few of the more popular features.
All of this fuel and timing stuff is useful and needed in the following situations :
Any Honda motor swap (B, D, H, or F series motor)
Installing larger injectors
Boosting your Honda via Turbocharger, Supercharger, or Nitrous
Fine tuning your bolt-on performance parts
I could go on and on as to why you want to chip your ECU but by now, hopefully you are getting the idea

Is my ECU chippable?
Look at the label on the outside of your ECU and look at the top of this post at the supported ECUs and see if yours is supported. It will be the letters and numbers in the center of the dashes in the label. Typically Pxx, for example P06 or P28. If you do not have a supported ECU - We can sell you one. PM me for pricing and availability.

Should this be my next mod to my car?
Yes. Actually you should have already done this. Getting your ECU chipped and your car tuned will likely net you more power gains than adding many of your basic bolt-ons such as an intake, header, or exhaust system. If you already have basic bolt-ons, this will help you maximize the power you will get from them. I can’t stress how much fuel and timing management can positively affect the performance of your car. Most standalone systems with these capabilities cost well over $600 and are worth every penny. Honda ECU chipping is a blessing and is extremely inexpensive for the capabilities and a must for most all Honda builds.

ANY QUESTIONS AND PRICING INFORMATION REGUARDING ECU CHIPPING - PLEASE PM ME ONLY
Paul and Rich at Swerve have limited knowledge in regards to these procedures and parts and they do not have the time to get you answers to your inquiries. Please if possible leave me your phone # in your PM and I’ll get back to you as promptly as possible. OR, if you don’t wish to PM me - call Swerve Motorsports and leave your name and number if I’m not there.

-Andy- 99_civic_si
SWERVE MOTORSPORTS

:bigclap:

what about data log?.. will you add 4wire usb or db9

It will just be a 4 pin straight header. You could put either or on the header, but it’s mainly used for the plug and play USB equiptment that you buy for about $30 if you want to DIY datalog. Most all tuners are going to have the usb interface. The serial cable hookup was the old school way of doing it really. Many laptops don’t even have a serial port on them anymore.

If you request the DB9 port to be added instead, I could do that no problem, but it’s going to cost you a little more as I’d need to add the connector and mount it nicely in the case.

andy is the sexiest car guy ever

gee tanks /blushing.

Well I got a few people inquiring and I’m getting them setup now. You should be seeing some posts with responses in the near future hopefully with some positive feedback. :slight_smile:

Had my ecu done by andy last week, guy does very nice work he soldered the Vtec transistors in for me on my p06 and also made me up a basemap. Car is running excelent. :tup::tup: for you bro. Nice work.

Nice to see the ongoing dedication to the honduh owners in da 716 yo!

you need to offer kpro :stuck_out_tongue:

nice to see you guys offering more…

Local Kpro support = Innovative Tuning

Kpro is just something that’s bought and needs to be fully tuned which Mike can do much better than myself.

Like I said, I’m not offering any tuning to the public until I’m happy with my skills and think they are up to par. Learning the major ins and outs of tuning doesn’t happen overnight, and a huge responsibility comes with it and I’m not ready for that responsibility.