Who killed the electric car?

You mean like about 1/3rd of this country has from Nov to Mar? The more I read about the EV1 the more I compare it to people’s ideas for gas boycots. On the surface it looks like a good idea, but when you really research it it’s stupid.

Now make one with modern technology, lithium ion polymer batteries instead of NiCD ones, modern electric motors, modern regenerative braking, and maybe it would work. But, you still have to get past the fact that reinventing the wheel costs a lot of money, and people aren’t willing to pick up that cost in the sticker price. Sure, a few eccentric people would buy them for $400 to $600 a month lease (which I can guarantee would be a losing money deal for the automaker), but a few people do not make a car market. In a few years the car would be killed because it’s a money pit for the automaker, and another wack job would be making movies claiming it was a conspiracy.

Sure, the car would be great here in the summer for commuting to work. But how many people are willing to buy a 2nd car that is only good 1/2 of the year for 1/2 of their trips, and pay $400 to $600 a month for it? No matter how much it saves you in gas you’re always going to be in the red from having to have 2 cars, two car payments, two insurance payments.