wtb:holley 4 barrel 650 cfm DP

^^excellent choice for application. Q-jet’s r great carb’s if set up right;)

[quote=“BIGHANDS,post:15,topic:39072"”]

i ussually ran a 750 double pumper on my mild built 302 no problems at all whatever you do dont put an edelbrock on it !!!

[/quote]

:word: Put a holley 750 double pumper on it, NO edelcock! ha

ok i found a holley 4 barrel. list #8879, its low milage, just needs a basic rebuild kit since the seals are prolly bad. according to holley site its a 650 cfm. the butterfly plates look like those of a rochester 4 barrel(2 small primaries and 2 large seconds) its a vacuum secondary and a manual choke. its $50…what do you guys think?

[quote=“Camaro079,post:18,topic:39072"”]

its never been run, i’m working on an old Camaro to put it in. its an early 70 ‘010’ 350. bored 30 over. new flat top pistons, new cam (speed pro sealed power CS-179R)-valve lift .447, .050 dur:222. hydrolic lifters(flat tappet), right now i have factory rocker arms, but i have a set(s) of stamped steel roller tips, 1.5 or 1.6 if i want to put them in. the heads that are currently bolted on are 3998993 heads, but i have access to a pair of 462’s or 896’s. i have an edelbrock performer intake-i paid $20 at a garage sale for it. it will have long tube headers and dual exhaust when installed, it will be a 4 spd manual car if that matters. i have several old q-jets around, but i’m not familiar with carbs and i heard Holleys are easy to tune and run fairly well. thanks for all the info i’m learning alot here!

[/quote]

Ditch the 993’s!!! Especially if you’ve got other options available. 993’s came stock on 72-73 307’s and 350’s. They have big chambers and were not at all perfomance oriented. The 462’s came on 62-67 327’s. I think they have 64cc chambers (which will raise your compression ratio a bit) and I know they flow better. 896’s have 60cc chambers (which will raise your compression even more), but I know they came on 63-65 283’s. If that’s the case they probably only have 1.74" intake valves instead of 1.94". They were also installed on 62-64 327’s so those might have the 1.94’s. I don’t know for sure, you’ll have to research or measure them. Don’t use them if they have the 1.72 intakes. I don’t know how well they flow either. I know 462’s worked decent on the circle track engines back in the day though. If you really want some nice stock heads, try to track down a set of 041X’s. They have 165cc intake runners and 64cc chambers. They flow great for stock iron heads. They were cast in 69 and 70 for 302’s and 350’s. Sounds like a decent block though. When you call it a “010” are you referring to the 3970010 casting number or is it a tin block? True “010” blocks have an 010 cast under the timing cover. This signifies additional tin was added to the iron to increase it’s strength. 020 blocks also exist, 020 signifies additional nickel was added to the iron. Some blocks have both, as my old '69 3970010 race engine does. This makes for a very durable iron. The engine had a ton of street miles on it before it was built for circle track and it didn’t need to be bored. It now has 8 circle track race seasons on it (literally thousands of racing miles) and it won the last time it was raced…I retired it after that night :slight_smile:
That’s a nice mild little cam, pair that with the 462’s and the Performer intake and you’ll have a nice streetable engine. Don’t put huge headers on it. I plugged your numbers into the header calculator and came up with 1 3/8" primary tubes that are 41" long and a 2" collector that is 14" long. I doubt you’re building custom headers so try to find something close to this. Smaller is better actually for a street performance application. You don’t want to kill all the low end torque.
The Holley carb you’re talking about is the Holley version of the Q-jet. A Quadrajet will blow just about everything out of the water when it’s tuned right. They have a horrible reputation which is unwarranted. It’s mostly due to the fact that nobody tunes the damn thing. They just bolt it on and expect it to work right. That carb will work good for you. It’s oversized for the engine, but the primaries are very small which will give you awesome low end throttle response. The vacuum secondaries will also help the cause. I say go get it, especially for $50. I personally have little experience with Qjets, but there has to be someone around that can help you tune it. A call to Holley may help also, ask if they have a tuning manual/kit for that carb. Good luck!

[quote=“Camaro079,post:23,topic:39072"”]

ok i found a holley 4 barrel. list #8879, its low milage, just needs a basic rebuild kit since the seals are prolly bad. according to holley site its a 650 cfm. the butterfly plates look like those of a rochester 4 barrel(2 small primaries and 2 large seconds) its a vacuum secondary and a manual choke. its $50…what do you guys think?

[/quote]

Good chioce

It seems that a lot of the “old school” hot rod guys like the “Double Pumper.” I have a mild 400ci. SBC (mild as in…perf RPM intake and headers) and I’ve been running a Holley vac. sec. 600cfm carb. BUT, I had it jetted to 72 on the primaries and still running horribly lean. So, for S & G’s I did the basic math and found I’d be better with a 634~cfm carb. So, I dug out a Edelbrock 750, freshened it up and its running great.
I personally am partial to Holleys BUT, for ~my~ mild setup and the need to not work on this car all the time. The Edelbrock is doing its deed. The Holley has too many gaskets that leak after a few tweeks and tunes.
BUT, if the car is going to be more of a performer, I’d stick with a Holley. A Holley 650cfm Vac. secondary is perfect (I’ve read and experienced) that a Double Pumper is more for huge cam and/or manual cars.

If you can spend the money…get a Street Demon. Period.