AWD or RWD?

And if AWD wasn’t superior, they never would have banned it from most major racing series (F1, FIA GT, ALMS, LMES, SUPER GT, etc. etc. etc.)

Also, IMSA would have let this car continue to compete instead of taking away it’s tire size, then restricting it’s boost, then just banning it outright because no RWD car in the class had a shot in hell (even after all the weight penalties, restrictions and tires half the size of the rest of the RWD class).

Cue same results for Speed World GT (Audi RS 6, and whatever they ran before), and the shackles placed on the A4s in the touring car class, who still kick ass, and lap the field when it rains.

The F40 was made in the vein of classic sports car. “Classic” sports cars are usually rear wheel drive. Ferrari has years and years of RWD sports cars. Why would they go put an AWD system on a sports car that was designed for their founder’s birthday when the founder grew up with and was most comfortable with RWD cars? :smash2:

P.S. Did I mention that the Subaru STI class has ruled SCCA Touring 2 since 2004?

RWD because I live in FL and can easily drive it all year round. AWD if I still lived in the ROC so I could drive it year round.

Chocolate or Vanilla?

You can’t make the blanket arguement (:lol: @ Freek) about which is better without SOME semblance of application.

All things being equal for all conditions, AWD > RWD

[quote=Rx3;458361]

[quote]

uh, that is HOT.

uh, that is hot.

:rofl:

Ask Andy and Jim how many times their 200WHP Civics got beaten in 2006 by a 106RWHP Miata.

Let’s face facts, the question sucks as originally posed.

No, lets face facts, it’s a great automotive question on a forum full of people who barely know that tires are round. This same question turned into a great discussion a little over a year ago over on ubrf, back when it had real automotive enthusiasts.

My bad, I thought the question was; Which do you prefer?
I guess I missed the part that says “on a dry, paved, race track.”
I guess if I lived at Bondurant(Arizona/no rain or snow/race track) 24/7, rwd would suffice.

Most of the time the roads are dry and paved. And usually when they aren’t everyone is going so slow you can’t go fast enough to play with your awd anyway.

I suppose I should have a little fine print on my love of RWD.*

*I can have a RWD car as my DD because I have a 4wd truck as my backup for days like today.

The roads I drive on are not like a clean dry race track.
If your speed is limited because everyone is going slow then the “lighter weight” rwd would not be a performance advantage either so I guess you might as well drive AWD for the bad days.:stuck_out_tongue:
(My commute seems to be a lot different then some of you. I would be willing to bet that at least half of my days have at least wet roads.)

I don’t know what is wrong with you all, I still prefer RWD in the snow, if it is bad enough where I can not get out in RWD I probably am not going out anyways.

All or nothing, baby.

Man, I cant vote…

RWD= nuthin beats sliding the ass out around corners or “drifting” esp. this time of year.

AWD=I’ve never had the experience myself BUT, I’ve raced a Syclone before that was stock…it had 3 cars on me by the time I STARTED spinning. AWSOME traction!

^FYI; You can drift AWD. See WRC.

i am with chino bigtime. AWD unless the car is mid engined, then i want rear wheel only.

then again a properly set up car will do what you want it to do regardless how many wheels are being driven.

one thing that makes it tough to root for AWD teams is knowing they are smoking tires in the same amount of laps that FR platforms…arent.

yeah tough call, this questions has to get way more specific to make a choice. that being said i vote AWD cuz thats what i drive

So many good points in this debate however I am biased simply because I have only had awd for my past 4 vehicles.

:wink:

X…

Oh come on. Is it really that hard to pick what you “prefer.” If I worded the question as “which is better?” then yes, the question would suck. But I didn’t. I asked what do people personally prefer, and left it vauge and open ended intentionally so that it could be discussed relative to what peoples’ priorities are.

A lot of people seem to prefer AWD because it arguably will get you to the finish line faster. Others prefer RWD because it will arguably get you to the finish line faster. Others prefer RWD because oversteering is fun, there are fewer parts to weigh the car down and/or break. Others prefer AWD because control and traction for acceleration are fun.

So I ask again, which do you like better?

I like when people say, “The Audi finished first because it was a better car, not because it was awd.”
Then when they lose people say, “All wheel drive is too heavy.”
Isn’t this proof that people just can’t admit awd is a good thing?