Help me find a good CNC / WaterJet / Machine Shop!

I need some help finding a place to make some parts for me. They are all fairly simple design parts which could either be CNC’ed and/or waterjet cut. The materials are basic too.

Ive been to / talked with / dealt with so many different machine shops locally that I am ready to start looking out of state. Most machine shops I talk to say they can do the work / parts, but when it comes down to it I have to wait months and months for anything to be produced. This is regardless of the time frame they give me for example " like 2-4 weeks" etc.

I think its because we are considered slim pickings compared to some of the other jobs they get. I can understand that to an extent. But for example, I have been waiting almost a full year for some spacers to be made from the company I am dealing with now. Everytime I stop in or call I get “Sorry, I’ll have them next week”

If anyone has any advice or anything Id be glad to hear it

There is a shop in middleport can’t remember the name they have a cnc waterjet

Ascension industried in NT can laser cut if you have drawings in cad format

Have you tried May Tool in Tonawanda?

http://www.canadiancustom.com/

located in St. Catharines, ON.

i have used these guys for half a decade for everything, they have 2 CNC machines with techs on site, can to the design / cadding for you but cheaper if you have it done already.

tell them Bing referred you and talk to Chris. He is crazy high strung and retardly busy but he is fucking awesome.

thanks guys

I havent tried any of those places yet. Although Im not suprised to see a good one located in canada. I couldnt find a place to get some polyurethane inserts untill I started looking in canada and it was the 1st place I emailed.

Thanks again

if you are unsure if you want waterjet or CNC, post up the drawing and the material and i’ll help you out.

Saying “CNC or waterjet” is like saying I don’t know if I want a Mustang or a Ford.

Like Newman said, post up the part, most people make piss poor decisions for fabrication methods on this forum and I’d be more than happy to make suggestions based on the part.

Did you ask me about this?
I don’t remember.

I assume by CNC you mean machining center.
FYI pretty much all waterjets are CNC also.
(Computer Numeric Control.)

I actually dont have the drawing, the place that is currently working on this drew it up and he has it. I’d probably have to buy it off him. Its basically just an intake manifold gasket. The material is a phenolnic resin. I think waterjet would be the quickest and cheapest for these. I do have some other stuff I want to get made but they would have to be CNC. I cant do any cad, I wouldnt even know where to begin so that holds me back too :frowning:

I machine phenolic resin once in a while.
You really need to provide drawings.
Even just a print out would work.

Size?
Quantity?

i tell you who you shouldn’t ask for fabrication advice: finalGTS

anyway, you are correct. A phenolic spacer probably could be waterjet cut fairly easily. How thick are you looking to make it? And how many?

i don’t deal with many waterjet guys, so i can’t really recommend.

I just said CNC / waterjet so no one thought I meant like a machine shop like northeast or anything

But no I didnt know that

AWDrifter: Maybe, Like a couple years ago about pulleys maybe?

I probably told you 4 weeks and you didn’t want to wait.j/k
I could have easily gotten them done in 2 years!:biglaugh:

let me know if you have more info about what you would like.

lol no I think we were supposed to meet and my retarded schedule kept messing it up

I’ll PM you

thanks everyone

There really isn’t all that much reason it couldn’t be machined, esp. if you are having a hard time finding a waterjet shop. I don’t deal with any shops regularly though.

I know of a couple but not too many around WNY.

It think it depends a lot on the geometry. I can see some difficulties in holding it if it’s large and thin.

i know one place local that will make you wait over 6 weeks for a quote … lol

im currently trying to balance time / cost / distance on a number of parts but it seams like going loal is a great way to wait obscene amounts of time for something… even if its just a phone call saying “hey, i know its been 3 weeks already, but i lost your file & email”

lol I understand that all too well. It makes you want to choke baby seals

Its going to be an intake manifold gaket I’m sure, there shouldn’t be any issue. I’m not saying waterjet wouldn’t be fine, I was just saying that he could get it machine just as easily. It wouldn’t have a ton of machine time since it’s phenolic.