Need help SON! Subaru GC8 or Silvia Coupe?

get the GC8
240s in the winter are a joke

a very fun joke but a joke none the less

Get the subbie man! My buddy has owned an old legacy as his winter beater and he said he has drove through ditches no problem at all! He has owned it for the last five years and hasnt had any problems

240sx are the BOMB in the winter!!!

Just to let everyone know, I already have a 4dr LARGE sedan, Altima SE-R that my wife drives my son to daycare in.

So it’s not NEEDED to have a 4dr, but of course its nice.

DCCD on manual at full open only allows the driver to change the torque split to 41/59. At full lock it is 50/50.

It’s a fun car though, try it out. I bought a GRB STI this summer and I like it.

^^Oh really? For some reason ppl have been telling me 10/90.

Good to know!

^ and sure you can drift with a 50/50 torque split. I personaly leave the center diff at full open but if you are on gravel and want more of a 50/50 i would just suggest leaving the DCCD at 1 click under full lock so when you grab that hand brake you’re not shocking the drivetrain so much.

240sx’s are wicked in winter… its drivers that often suck.

I could build a nice big case for the 240sx but i don’t feel like it.

rest assured, the 240sx is the better choice for you samson given your current state of affairs.

low risk, low residual loses, lower cost etc.

there really are no hard benefits for the subbie… 4 dr… who cares i stick a baby seat in my S14 all the time. costs more to buy, costs more to run, costs more to fix, they’re slow as shit unless you really open them up but you dont want to blow that kind of money anyways.

240sx’s are disposable and mega fun all year round. that’s why we all own them still.

Its weird though. Completly differnt sensation than sliding a RWD drive car. My GRB is my first AWD car and it definatly shows me I have a lot more to learn about driving!

Pants has a vid of me n keez doin some tandem donuts. him in his s13 n me in my grb. he should post it up

Bing, how does your baby seat fit in the back of an S14 though.

My kids baby seat is HUGE, and is the back of an s13 coupe smaller than an s14?

It’s true, I could rip the 240sx and to replace stuff would cost pennies compared to trying to source parts for the subbie.

If I really had a choice, I would have gotten an IS300 4dr RWD, but my friend owns one and says it costs him a fortune. Even spring/shock combo are more expensive than 240sx top line coilovers.

I guess it comes down to cost, replacement PLUS reliability.

it wouldnt come down to cost if you had tons of money sitting around, but you dont so it’s a 240sx either way.

i have to keep the passenger seat up a couple clicks in order for my son to be comfortable, but i rarely have a front passenger and my son in the car at the same time… maybe 2-3 times a month and only my wife or father so they can deal with it out of respect for Ving.

I also think that getting a more efficient car seat is a reasonable option. Your boy is about ready for a booster isnt he? Those are pretty small, that may make a big difference ini rear seat room.

I had a different seat in florida for Ving and i felt like even though the seat was big that it crept forward less and kept him sitting up straighter which means the front seat can be pushed back another click or so… that would make a big difference.

it’s much easier and cheaper to get a different seat that works better in a 240sx than it is to go and suffer through subaru ownership. :slight_smile:

IS300 would be sweeeeet

I sold my old 95 S14 (nissan crazys black car) and bought a GC8 2 door 2.5rs and it was sweet, untill shit started breaking, and then it didn’t stop breaking. Bought for $7000 sold for $5000 less than 6 months later and invested about $2000 into repairs.

Stick with the S chassis, subaru is money and headgasket failures and rod knock will empty your wallet like a MF, not to mention frequent wheelbearing failures ($250ish each) aswell.

^^ Ya the older GC8s like 98 have the DOHC motors and definitely have that headgasket problem.

1999+ have SOHC and don’t have that problem.

I definitely agree that Subaru will cost more money in the end, might even be a money pit.

plus they’re slow.

a local dude had a sick 2 door GC8 and put like $15k in mods, motor swap etc into… shit was like 225awhp… woopty… my S14 with a stock smic S14 SR would whomp that… i went for a drive with him in it a couple times… thing hits boost and i didnt even know.

yeah obviously STI’s with butt loads of money can be scary fast, same with EVO’s… but it still cost tens of thousands more than a 240sx…

more expensive to insure subarus too.

lol i think bing really wants you to get the 240 :wink:

I had a 2000, headgasket failures are commonplace all across subarus engines. Too many hotspots in the engine. Old legacy 2.2’s are the best engine if you want to avoid headgasket failures.

nate, sell samson your cavi.

at least its obvious how much of a heep it is… with subaru’s there are alot of people who still think a 10 year old subaru is wicked :frowning:

oh man, i can only imagine the TSC lurkers here… someone let me know if there is a cross post thread on there :slight_smile:

Bing wants me to buy 240sx parts from him, duh!

jks

Nah, he is right though and his advice is something I am keeping in mind.

He knows my situation and is a father himself. That’s a +1.