Technical Forum

What!!! The Easter Bunny isn’t real? :(… But seriously, these posts are getting out of hand, and I’m glad someone started a thread about this.

Deleting reposted threads is a good idea, but it probably won’t kill it all…

The worst I find, is people who lack the common respect and decency to post with clear English, and then get upset because they get smart ass replies. It’s not like you can’t notice that your typing is illegible… How long does it take to use spell check and stop typing like you’re half-retarded and just learned what a keyboard was.

I just don’t understand how/why people have become so lazy/sloppy… You would never have gotten away with that shit in school 5-10 years ago, and now it’s just accepted. Frightening, really. I’ve seen some essays that are handed in to high school teachers… They’re attrocious. It’s like they just aren’t teaching grammar and sentence structure in schools any more. And the worst part is, they’re cramming the curriculum farther, and farther back. Grade 3’s are expected to be starting into algebra, and abstract concepts… Shit that was only INTRODUCED in and around Grade 5 just a few years ago.
/rant

this is true for a couple of reasons.

a) steady inflow of new lazy and illiterate noobs.

b) these noobs will then post OTHER “wher is my old thred lol?” threads once their old one gets deleted, most likely in the wrong section.

there should be skill testing questions in order to be able to sign up - with respect to basic spelling and grammar at the very least. i don’t know how well that would work, but we can only dream of a perfect world.

It’s just funny, because I’m a bit of a forum junkie, and lots of places seem to think their forum is the only one in the world that gets hit by n00bz and illiterates. Every forum ever wishes they had some sort of n00b eliminator at the door, or a competency test or something. Trust me I think there should be too, but I think the best we can do is try and ignore it, and get rid of it quick, maybe stiffer punishments for shitty posting. I know it’s in the rules somewhere about shitty grammar, it’s just not enforced.

you mention being strict. some people learn because of this, other not. in the meantime however, people bitch about it. ie. the drama regarding GT greg lately. you either have people who try to follow the rules, or people who don’t and end up whining about the consequences teamed up with their other noob buddies.

yes, it can be ignored. but it makes a lot more work for the mods and admins, and annoys people who are genuinely interested in helping, along with cluttering the forums before being removed. it’s a big inconvenience that isn’t entirely necessary for anyone.

I appreciate the open discussion on this topic but let me direct your thoughts towards legible English and grammar, visa vie effort is shown. We can all agree that not everyone is intellectually equal; be it that, someone may be a “genius” with their hands whereas another person may be a “genius” in the books. (I use the term “genius” to distinguish one persons skill set, be it a mix or polar opposite)

With this said, a person could be an amazing mechanic with poor writing skills and if this person were to post a question inside the technical forum it would look rather sparse in text but the problem description would be concise. On the other hand is someone was mechanically inept (like me) but educated (like me, B.Sc.) that posted a question in the technical section, it’d be rather long with possibly a vague problem description.

Now think about it, neither of these posts were perfect, one was to short with bad grammar and the other too long that wouldn’t get to the point. However, there was one common theme, effort. With minimal effort these people both posted viable questions that, in a sense displayed respect conveying to the reader that they are not taking advantage of them and truly looking for help.

This is a good thing, no? Let’s say we continue down the road where a poster is required to take a competency test, sure the educated poster could pass, but what about the highly skilled mechanic? Albeit it’d weed out some of the posters we don’t want but also reject the posters we need. This is why I suggested that posts showing no common respect be ignored. My reason for this thought is that I believe anyone posting with common respect has already passed the competency test negating the need for further administration but requiring a shift in community focus towards rewarding respect and not blatant tom foolery.

well said richard. you bring up very good points.

not everyone has excellent grammar and spelling. however, we need to focus on the people who are in fact simply lazy to write properly (eg. “can sum1 plz help me i dun now how t spel”. keep in mind a kid in the third grade could write that properly, hands down).

with my time spent on this forum, i’ve noticed many of the people who write in this fashion also ask for help with regards to topics which have already been covered here, and could be easily found on this board or elsewhere.

my suggestion wasn’t against people who can’t write properly - it’s due to the relation between those and people who are simply lazy.

but like i said, in a perfect world. in reality, there’s no easy way to please everyone.

People with good hand skills generally don’t need to ask stupid questions like “Where do I buy 710 fluid?”

And besides, you don’t need a PHD to spell. That’s a tired cliché. Just because someone might be blue collar, doesn’t mean they can’t string a sentence together.

Honestly, there’s little use for the technical section as it is.

The whole point of a tech section is to ask questions, get collective answers, then generate a database of common problems and their respective fixes.

This then becomes a self-perpetuating help section.

Not a “I’m too lazy to open my hood. Beyond that, I have no idea what’s actually wrong with the car in the first place. I know I could check for fuel and spark, but I’ll keep putting it off, because it will tell me there’s something wrong with my Lambor-nissan-ghini. A compression test? No, then I’ll need a new motor. When the answer is presented to me, I will still try all the cheap and simple fixes first, before giving up and paying someone to fix my car.” thread collection.

If people do figure out their problem, they never post the solution. That, and the people that do know the answer, feel some sort of moral superiority, and choose to not help out at all.

Then the boys club warms up their Picard jpgs, and ruin the thread. Then their private group of nut-huggers come along and repost the same jpgs, or diluted internet speak cleverness.

But when 90% of your members bought the car out of some deep-seeded inadequacy that made them NEED a 240SX … add to that, they want to build the next Z06-killing 240 for under $500, have great “mod list” building skills, but for all of that still cruise around in giant shit heap rust bucket stock and dying cars …

What do you really expect? Informed questions? Help?

hahaha this is the funniest thing you have ever written and I’m actually laughing out loud over it!

As far as spelling and grammar are concerned, download Firefox and right-click.

IT’S THAT EASY

Some valid points for sure…

But c’mon, the Technical section hasn’t gotten THAT bad… :lol:

Best rant I’ve read in a while! Unfortunatly, even if I had a phd, i wouldn’t be able to spell…

What do you really expect? Informed questions? Help?

This really sticks out at me; reflecting on the question, I think i’m just tired of the lack of research. People get stuck and ask for help, it’s natural, we live in an instant society. But when you get people that don’t search, it really sucks:

http://forums.son240sx.ca/showthread.php?t=23956

I expect that if someone want’s to do something different, for example an RB20/25/26 swap into their S13 that they would post informed questions if their stuck.

The reason I posted in here is because the people with information shouldn’t feel burnt out from helping.

Roast’s post, which I have quoted below, is not worth reading or endorsing due to that fact that he used “is” instead of “if”. (The mistake has been put into bold text and section underlined to enhance his shame)
After seeing that mistake and being thoroughly offended I stopped reading in case he had textually soiled himself a second or fiftieth time.

Once again roast is assaulting our eyes with his textual diarrhea.
There, there roast, they’re not going to learn to improve their grammar when you are using the wrong their/there/they’re

I fail to read nocwage’s last post due to the fact that there is a missing period at the end of the last sentence.

Check and mate sir. The ball is no longer in your court.

Gonad has been paranoid about missing periods since the ‘mistake’ he made with his sister after they had a little too much to drink at the last festival of lights.

http://jammin.jshost.ca/mark/Misc%20Pics/fnfooh.gif

This is how I feel most of the time. Alot of people have legit questions and even if the awnsers sometimes seem simple, The user may genuinly not know the awnser. So many times I’ve seen questions i could give educated responses or advice to, but then decide not too after scrolling down and seeing the flameshow.
The way i see it is if someones getting flamed for asking a decent question then theres a good chance ill get flamed for awnsering.

Thats my 2 cents! ZOMG ROFL LAWLZZZZZ$@!!!11

It boggles my mind how you went about spelling answer wrong, three freakin’ times. :run:

Stop the language policing you ass hats!

go back to lurking.

At least he spelled it wrong the same way all 3 times… :stuck_out_tongue: