Turbocharger questions

yep, i know about dezod and i know he knows his stuff. but before just going with a kit i wanted to understand some of the mechanics of a unit…as well as the pros/cons of things like water cooling, ball bearing, internal/external wastegate, clipping and probably more things that i am not yet aware of. i also don’t mind the ‘difficult work.’

i could certainly just a size a kit solution to my budget…but i would rather get a solid education in the process. i was in the perf shop the other day and a typical question i heard from others was ‘how much will it cost to install, and how much hp will i make?’…sure, those are 2 important questions, but if that’s all you ask then you deserve what you get…or people who just buy something based on a brochure…whatever.

i guess my first start is i will check the flow maps of the kits currently selling to see where they plot on the graph. although i have to believe that theory vs real application has to change things…like heat, length of tubing and pressure will change air density (i’m a scuba diver so i am just applying what i know about pressurized air). i figure it isn’t as textbook as saying i can push x amount of air through a straw…because if i am under pressure or at a different temperature i can actually push more or less through the straw. i didn’t see where temp entered the equation in the map formula, but maybe it doesn’t?

but that is my point…i would like to actually understand what i am doing so i can make the right decision, not just base it on a cookie cutter kit that some other company thought would be great from a marketing standpoint (which may turn out to be great regardless). plus i may want to modify that kit to suit my needs and i’d like to know what those changes will mean.

i started with another book, supercharging,turbocharging by earl davis…some meat in the book but alot of it was just advertisment for fi companies. focus, the links you posted were very helpful, and i will get the other book you mentioned. ninja, i hear what you are saying about the clipping. makes sense. keep the feedback coming.