11 second battery powered datsun....

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/videos/view/56-Electric-Drag-Racing

didnt see this posted here, figured you guys might get a kick out of it…

That pretty damn impressive! I’d give up my POS gas engine for something like that…

i’m impressed :tup: sure helps when you pick a car that pretty much weighs nothing too :stuck_out_tongue:

Owner is a douche and I don’t care if it went 200mph, it’s lame.

Guys a major FUCKING dork, hamming it up way to much for the camera.

BS about not putting out pollution, has to charge it some how.

Meh.

The idea is cool, but what a douche.

Wow, 11’s at 110mph without a harness…or even a seatbelt. wtf

I wonder what the life of the batteries is. A dozen charges before they are totally fried?

president obama probably funded the whole project

Wait wait, is this Firehawk853 new Datsun???

I thought he bought a Danzi lol

They look like lead-acid batteries. 300-500 charge/discharge cycles are typical. High voltage charging will shorten this, although it doesn’t affect performance.

^What about the immediate drainage of the battery? 11 seconds?!? That thing must be smokin hot. That can’t be good for it.:gotme:

they look like high end Odyssey batteries, they need a reach around while charging to be done correctly or they’ll be damaged but yes, lead acid principal is still in effect. i doubt with the abuse they’d take 300-500 cycles but ideally yeah. new lithium ion technology is growing fast so hopefully with all the use they’ll gain some exposure and up the R&D and we’ll get some trickle down technology as they take hold.

i doubt they’re being completely discharged in one run, but topping off after every run to keep consistent and keep them safe. 60 AGM batteries @ $200-300 a crack even at wholesale is something you’d want to care for like a child.

Cool car/concept. Lame owner.

Looks interesting.

Its reasonably easy to make a stupid fast electric car, its just not practical yet. Its easy and cheap enough to get a monster motor and controller, and get the power to the ground. The AGM batteries he was running prior would be nowhere near ‘discharged’ after a 1/4 mile, but if youre trying to break records and look impressive… You want to top off after every run. It isnt very bad on the cells for a brief rapid discharge, but its not that great as well. As long as you dont deep cycle them often you can expect 1000+ near full cycles before youre at 50% cap. Those odyssey AGM cells are fantastic, and can handle lots of abuse. Im sure he got them for $50-100 each for such a application.

The A123 cells that are on ‘loan’ are insanely superior to any existing battery tech, including almost all Lithum Ion / Polymer cells… But theyre also insanely expensive. What they put in that car would be around $10-50K in cell costs at retail.

Cool car. Not sure of the owner.

Guy is definitely a pompous ass, but has a point.