1996 Geo tracker

Im selling my geo tracker. 1.6L 5-speed. 167k miles.

im selling it cause im getting rid of some cars. i just have too many.

the good:

4WD works. clutch works well. great mileage for a 4WD box. i got 30mpg in the summer and 27ish in the winter and 26 in 4wd.

replaced the rear window with lexan.

runs mint. never gave me any problems in the 40k that ive driven it.

amazing winter car. heat blows hot. soft top lets alot out though but a little foam rubber would stop that.

unstoppable in the snow.

tires have about one season left.

new rotors and pads last summer and shoes in the drums. could use a good bleed though.

new plugs and wires, cap and rotor earlier this year.

heaterbox sealed with weatherstripping and metal screen to keep critters out.

comes with sony cd player, lightning audio 4" dash speakers and sony 6x9’s in boxes in the back. ok for a winter ride stereo but nothing special.

all drivetrain fluids minus the transfer case changed last fall. cant get the transfer case fill plug out. drain comes out fine. i could have pumped the fluid in the bottom but didnt get to it. comes with two bottles of gear oil.

had an alignment recently and tires last forever on this thing. the ones on there have lasted almost 40k and still have some life left.

i made a tool so i could tighten the wheel bearings properly. its kind of a rig but it works. i repacked the front bearings last fall.

the bad:

rear end whines at 60mph+. nothing to worry about, it just makes noise.

soft top has some separation at one point. shoe goo didnt hold during the hot summer as i had it too tight. a reapply would work fine. it internal though so you dont see it and it doesnt affect the sealing much at all.

rear brake proportion valve attached to the rear axle has a leak. drips a little here and there. doesnt affect the braking at all but you have to add some fluid once a month when the light flickers. not a big deal.

CEL is on most of the year for the P0400 EGR code. its a problem in trackers. ive never had a problem with inspection though. just reset, drive 25 miles on back roads and it stays out and readiness monitors clear enough to inspect. has worked for 4 years in a row.

there is some rust, a hole or two here and there. the front drivers fender is beat back into shape with a hammer and painted. it hit a deer a long time ago and got a backyard fix.

hood is pretty rotten… enough that its held down by 4 hood pins. it isnt going anywhere though. :slight_smile:

here are some pics. if anyone wants some daytime ones, lemme know.

great winter car. goes anywhere and drifts pretty good in 4wd and in 2wd in 2nd in the snow. :slight_smile:

500$

Brian

trades?

i had a '96 4dr JX 16v, i would love to get another one from down south. EGR issue is common as stated, and the exact fix is to do exactly as stated, clear, drive-cycle and run it through. good luck w/sale

thanks. :slight_smile:

id love a southern one too eventually. they are great little trucks.

I’d give ya $750 for the two metro’s and this! LOL GLWS

the tracker is now sold. thanks folks. if for some strange reason the buyer backs out ill post it back up.

brian