1997 Neon Expresso $1000

1997 Neon. DOHC 5Sp. I have aluminum factory neon wheels for the summer that go to the lucky buyer. I have been driving the car as is and works great for a beater, but So i dont waste anyones time ill tell you what it needs to be perfect. Mileage is at 141,000 but inaccurate as the speedo does not work. It did not work when I got it so I am unaware of the actual mileage. Has an oil leak so I have to check it weekly and it needs a vehicle speed sensor (the reason the speedo does not work). Rust on the top of the drivers side door. I took this car as a part of a trade and have driven for about a month now and has been reliable transportation, just looking to move it to someone who needs a decent cheap car.

Located in Butler
Pictures can be found on the CL ad.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1036800841.html

how much oil does it go through a week? any idea where the leak is?

hows the clutch?

Clutch is good.

It leaks at the bell housing so I’m guessing rear seal. Uses probably 1/4 to 1/2 qt a weak depending on driving distance.

Inspected?

I used to own this… so big vouch :smiley: I retailed it for 1800 when i had it, so this is a freakin steal.

Is inspected till Jan 2010

Two of the most common causes of oil leaks in the 2.0 are head gasket and the oil pressure sending unit. As to the HG, most failures occur in the driver’s side rear of the engine block, where an oil passage crosses between head and block within 1/4" of the outside edge. The most common symptom is an oil leak at the block joint in the vicinity of the brake fluid reservoir.

The oil pressure sendng unit is located on the back of the block under the exhaust manifold, and can be mistaken for a HG oil leak.

A third possibility for the 2.0 is they may leak oil at the cam position sensor , which is located below the intake piping that leads from the airbox to the throttle body. There is an O-ring seal at this sensor which can fail, but is pretty easy to replace. The resulting oil leak can appear to be either the head gasket or the main seal between engine and transmission. Check this spot first.

Thank you Blackbelt.

I will check those out this weekend. I will post up the cause of the leak at that time.

in the next few days, you can bring it down the shop and we can put it on the lift to try to id and/or repair the problem…