2003 Mazda Protege 5

THIS CAR IS FOR REPAIR OR PARTS

Posting this for a friend who’s engine seized on the 90 so… this car is for parts or repair. According to the mechanic he took it to, the oil pump seized. I haven’t even seen the car since a few days before this happened, but I will post pics when I get them. We’re in Buffalo, and the car is in Rochester.
He’s going to call some junkyards and see how much he can get for it, but he’s looking to get rid of it quick so I figured I would post it up. He needs a car so he’s looking to trade or sell for best offer. He doesn’t want to spend more than $1100 on a new DD.

The car:
5spd w/about 95k
Dark blue, no sunroof.
Trans shifted good last time I drove it.
One of the fenders is a little dented and there is some body rust bubbling up. The underbody isn’t bad at all, I replaced a parking brake cable on it in the fall.
The interior is in good shape.
Tires aren’t even a year old, not sure of brand or mileage.

I would say its worth fixing if you can get a relatively cheap engine. Was a pretty nice car imo, and other than needing a new downpipe(and now an engine) it didn’t have any problems. Not sure how much he’s going to want for it yet, just gauging interest as it will need to be gone very soon. I can put up a price and pics at the start of next week since we have no idea how much the local yards will offer.

So let me know if you have any interest in picking this up or have a reliable DD that you want to trade or sell.

most yards wont give anything if it cant drive in. just a free pickup… im very interested. what motor is used in this one? im interested in just buying

2.0L FS. Pretty sure all the MP5s came with them.
I told him the same thing, but I’ve never owned a car newer than '96 so I thought it might be different. I’m considering buying it myself and fixing it or parting it out. Just don’t have the time, money, or space.

you might want to change your title, I expected something totally different. you might lose potential buyers by not saying “needs motor - cheap” or something of the like.

sounds like a nice, easy flip

Yeah, probably a good idea. How do I change the title?

And definitely an easy flip. Does anybody know what cars had similar motors that will drop in or where to get one? I think somebody said a 626 engine was the same. If I can get something cheap enough it’ll probably go off the market. I don’t know anything about Mazdas though.

last i knew, you could edit and click on “go advanced” or somethiung like that to edit the title. glws.

can you email pics to yunvme666@aol.com

I’ll take the rear parcel shelf(provided it’s black) and stock air box if you decide to part this thing out

Well I am shocked right now. I have no idea how this happened but maybe the car was in my friend’s mom’s name or something.

She junked the car today for $150.

WOW i was thinkin of offering 400 bc i had to get it to buffalo. your buddy really lost out. i even found a new motor alrdy

Do you know which lot it went to?

No idea. Even if we knew it was going we would have pulled the parts you wanted because I’m pretty sure the parcel shelf was fine.

I’ll try to find out where it is, but his mom is kind of insane, so its kind of hard to get answers…Weird because its his car and it wasn’t even at her house.

She screwed everybody over because now he can’t afford a new car, I won’t get a finder’s fee, and whoever was gonna get it won’t. A clean car is gonna rot away in a yard for no reason.

Holy shit, she junked it? If it was a stick I would have bought it in a heartbeat, fixed it, flipped it. I had the same year P5, best car I ever owned

It was a stick