98 Cavalier "project" DD

I’m helping a buddy fix up his DD 98 cavalier. It’s rough around the edges but an ok car overall.

Issues Ive found so far:
Sunroof leaks
Flex pipe is rusted out
Has NO muffler hangers or anything because they all rusted and broke, whole exhaust is just sitting on the (subframe?) car
Headliner is in bad shape, someone tried to fix the sunroof and did more damage then good

Plans:
Fix the flex pipe with a bolt in replacement (nothing crazy obviously)
Rehang the exhaust
Drop the headliner and while doing so:
-fix the sunroof leak
-take interior lighting from my A4 parts car and giving him interior lighting (main reason for the thread)

I mainly made this thread to document messing around with his headliner and putting in custom lighting. You cant see a damn thing in the car at night, theres not even lights on your feet. The only one I could find online was in the middle where the windshield is, but the headliner spot where it goes is ruined and the wiring is all hacked up with little cuts all in it and a massive amount of electrical tape around it for no reason.

I just figure half his car is thin plasic or cardboard so the mounting of the lights should be the easy part :lolol:

Yesterday is actually when all this happened. We ordered a new mid section bolt on replacement for the flex pipe to be put on when it comes in, but I did notice literally every single exhaust hanger was snapped off or broken. We figured screw the whole exhaust but we needed to at least get the rear section hung back up, that way when the flex pipe section came in the mail half the work was already done.

I found the forward muffler hanger attached to the car wasn’t welded in or anything, it was just a small bolted on plate, so I removed the bolted on plate and put on a universal muffler hanger with a clamp. That single hanger did wonders for how it was sitting, but it still had a lot of wiggle room.

I found a bolt on the rear bumper of the car (the inner metal part) that I think used to be attached to something, but now was just sitting there, in the perfect position over where the tip of the muffler should have been. I put in another universal hanger with a clamp and was actually surprised how well it held and how well the muffler was positioned.

When he comes back this week I’ll take pics of what we did yesterday and what we’re doing to his interior lighting.

Anyone have experience with the sunroof on these things? Any ideas of what I should be looking for to figure out the root of the problem? I guess when it rains, it comes in on the passenger side. I’m going to take it apart next weekend or the one after to fix it, just figured I’d ask that way I have an idea of what I’m looking for.

Personally I’m excited to install the custom lighting. I love to wire shit up. Nothing crazy colors or anything. I think he has some of those “XT EXTREME!” blue advance auto lights or whatever they’re called, I might throw those on somewhere just because he already bought them, so why not use them.

My plans are basically this for the interior lighting:
Take the rear map light assembly from my car, cut the wiring harness out out of the parts car, and wire it up function as normal.
Take the vanity lights and the feet lights from the A4, cut the headliner to fit. Snip the wiring plugs out, wire them to the front lights
-this way instead of all kinds of aftermarket switches and stuff like that making it ugly, it will just be clean. He wont have control over each light by itself, but at least he will be able to turn them on and find things, and that’s the whole point
Use all white SMD bulbs (I have them on my A4 and I LOVE them. I can literally see anything in the car at any time, they’re bright as all hell.)

So this thread is basically here to document rigging A4 lighting into a 98 cavalier? Whatever floats your boat I guess.

There’s more to do to it, but yeah, I want to show off my work when it’s done. He needs more fixed than what I listed, but I wanted to document fixing the car up, not just the lighting.

Plus as I go, I’m going to have questions, so having you guys as an extra voice in my battle to get this thing back to what it needs to be will help.

This is for a dude with a family and not a lot of money, so even though he drives a shitbox I wanna help him get it back to where he can drive his daughter around in it without worrying about shit being broken.

power sunroof or a pop up?

It might have a plugged drain tube. Usually theyre routed down into the trunk and drain at one of the bottom corners.

I think its a power sunroof, slides backward into the roof or whatever

if u really wanted to help ur buddy out youd burn this thing… cavis suck

I completely agree with you. I’m sure if he had the funds he’d get a different car.

My other buddy drives a 2001 civic, got in an accident, bought it back, engine is blown, now he’s putting a new motor in it (it’s beat up, and barely worth what a motor costs IMO, but I guess he wont let it die). I been telling both of them they need new cars.

Some people just don’t listen :haha

shift is getting filled with a bunch of shit lately

^agreed!

lolll

As far as the car being a shitbox I admit that, but being able to post what I do somewhere for when I run into problems is key. I just figured throwing a new lighting system in would be fun on the side of all the mechanical he needs. At least I hope it’s not a lot. Some garage told him he needed some suspension work too so that’ll be unenjoyable.

Cars are cars man, at least im not drilling 3" holes all in a civic bumper.

and I like how out of everyone here making fun of me, only 1 dude posted an actual comment to help. Thanks PJB.

Btw I had guessed the same as you in the drain tubes being clogged, my question is, how the hell do you clean them out? I know a coat hanger is an option but i’ve heard you can really poke up the drain tubes so I dont want to risk all that if I can avoid it

By the way also. I was thinking, I dropped my buddys headliner in his S4 and there was no way to get it out except the trunk. Anyone think I can wiggle that thing out the doors or will I have to get balls deep on taking out the back seats? I want to install the lights right, so cutting and shit inside the car will just make it turn out like shit, and I’m looking to make it look as clean as possible.