a big thumbs up to ...... microsoft ?

ive been having the most damming time locating my original activation code for xp … i know i left it someplace around here … so taking some advice from a previous thread, i called micro$oft and explained my situation

i built my PC myself, and purchased xp at the time also
i lost the box with the manuals and stuff
my PC recently crashed and i had to do a fresh install … now im @ the end of the 30 days

the tech was nice enough to give me an activation code … WOOOO

take a hint people :slight_smile:

they didnt ask for any type of proof of purchase wether it be some type of online transaction/reciept?

Some of use don’t have a sexy phone voice like you to talk reps into keys

no … simply asked if xp had been purchased for this computer at some point

HAHA yeah I needed to do that too when I installed it my copy on another computer, they asked “has this copy been installed on multiply machines?” noooooooooo

so, did you need to give them the serial number that you used to install it over the phone? how would you get one of those that hasent already been registered before?

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/prodkey.php

not gonna click that here at work, but is it a key gen or something? or just a list of serials?

the tech asked me for the code that XP spits out at you for when you activate over the phone, and the tech gave me a activation code for XP based off of that

my dad did the same thing with his office code. he got a message saying it was used too many times. So he calls up M$ and is like, “its not my fault i keep getting viruses and have to reload my whole machine!! this is bullshit!!” guy goes, “Hold on there buddy, ill just give u the activation code, dont worry about it”

they are usually complete dickheads when i have to call them…

microsoft is changing things up a bit now… 1 License of XP per MOTHERBOARD.