Anyone Here Using Solar or Wind Power?

Hey Spence. You are right I was looking into this as well, depending on the roof and the type of panels(efficiency) you are looking at around 15k to 30k, the rate of return on most systems is around 5 years, cool thing is they are coming out with a new type of panel in the next year or so that utilizes all the available light spectrum wavelengths, which means power on cloudy days. Unfortunately I dont have that kind of money or I would definately do it.

Wat?
5 years?
How did you come up with that number?
Just curious because I sliced it every which way and didn’t come anywhere near 5 years.
It is at least 25 years with my house in WNY.
Maybe a small house in New Mexico but not here.

Yeah, I’m curious about his 5 year statement as well. Even if you’re doing just a grid tie in system with no batteries there is no way you’re going to break even in 5.

Perhaps this link will help you in your endeavor.

http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html

Pen, if you can tap into that NG buy an NG vehicle.My bro in law is looking into it.
And yes start up is crazy for solar as I was looking into doing it at the plaza.Wasn’t worth it financially but depending on the tax breaks it could’ve been close.I didn’t look into that far.

That link is awesome…thanks.

Kinda off topic but the windmills in Lackawanna will start to generate profit in 20- 25 years. They cost $8 million a piece to build producing 2.5 mega watts a piece.

Cohocton, NY is in the process of building 68 of them I believe.

Not sure if this hasn’t been said yet, but my co-worked looked into buying 4 of them to power his house in Chaffee @ 5k a piece.

Ok might have not seen this because I skipped most of the posts when all of this got political.

Anyway. you would need a decent amount of equipment to the tune of at least 10k to make it worth your while.

You would also need a " main power switch"(cant remember what its actually called). The “MPS” is basically a switch that transfers power back into the grid, and turns your electric meter backwards, thus reducing or eliminating power cost. Oh ya. That gizmo also has to be installed by a certified electrician or the electric company. i think that varies from state to state. Ok than you need a bank of batteries, with voltage regulators and a bunch of other shit.

Now to really make it worth your while you can also convert some of your 120volt appliances such as radios and TV’s to 12v. Its actually simpler than it sounds because most of them are designed to operate off of 12v anyway. They just have a transformer in them that bumps the 120v down to around 12ish.

Im sure Im missing a shitload details so if anyone would like they can add things to my little list of items lol.

I did however hear about some dude in Cassadaga that runs a 8hp generator off of a HHO system entirely with no need for gasoline. Dont know if it’s fact or fiction but i suppose if the volume of gas is there than why not.

Is that before or after most of them broke down and had to have major components replaced? To be fair because they failed so soon after going up I believe the manufacturer replaced them under warranty. When they fail again in 5 years all bets are off though.

I love how people say “it will make a profit in 20+ years”. Ok, but it’s a huge device with lots of moving parts. Sure, it might recover the intial investment in 20 years but what about when you add up all the money maintaining something?

Here is a link to what I mentioned before.
IMHO THIS HAS HUGE POTENTIAL.
These could be mass produced and EASILY put to use.

http://www.magenn.com/

grid-tie > battery storage imo, unless you are looking at a remote installation

it is still pretty costly, but NYSERDA does offer some incentives to reduce the costs for the homeowner. this doesnt apply to DIY’ers though

quick/easy estimation tool for pv: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/codes_algs/PVWATTS/

exactly, at this point there is no reason to buy a battery storage, when you can MAKE money via Net metering.

I have posted several times here that NYSERDA has great incentives but no one ever takes the time to see just how good they are.

http://www.powernaturally.org/

Wind Installer
Erie County

Robert Boender
Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
163 North Main Street, Suite 202
Stamford, CT 06902
Phone: 203-316-9219
robert.boender@snet.net
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 10kW or less.

Roy Butler
Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
8902 Route 46
Arkport, NY 14807
Phone: 607-324-9747
Roy@four-winds-energy.com

Gay Canough
ETM Solar Works
533 Woodford Avenue
Endicott, NY 13760
Phone: 607-785-6499 / 607-786-3388
info@etmsolar.com
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 20kW or less.

Joseph DiFrancisco
North Coast Energy Systems
529 East 29th Street
Erie, PA 16501-1113
Phone: 814-459-9378
Fax: 814-459-9373
nces@verizon.net

George McConochie
Sustainable Energy Developments, Inc.
6304 Furnace Road
Ontario, NY 14519
Phone: 315-524-9010
info@sed-net.com

Anthony Pereira
Altpower, Inc.
160 Fifth Avenue, Suite 807
New York, NY 10010-7028
Phone: 212-206-0547
anthony@altpower.com

Ernest Pritchard
6304 Furnace Road
Ontario, NY 14519
info@sed-net.com

Loren Pruskowski
6304 Furnace Road
Ontario, NY 14519
info@sed-net.com
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 10kW or less

Daniel Schumann
Green Arc Energy
6519 Townpath Road
East Syracuse, NY
Fax: 315-524-9046
dschumann@greenarcenergy.com
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 50 kW or less.

David Strong
6304 Furance Road
Ontario, NY 14519
Fax: 315-524-9046
dave.strong@sed-net.com
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 10kW or less

Joseph Swaha
6304 Furnace Road
Ontario, NY 14519
info@sed-net.com
Eligible to install: any qualified wind turbine 10KW or less

Art Weaver
Renovus Energy, Inc.
102 Cherry Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: 607-277-1777
art@renovusenergy.com

Andy Young
AY Solar
509 Alpine Drive
Vestal, NY 13850
Phone: 607-760-8176
info@ay-solar.us

if you want actual info contact an installer and they can help you, I listed all the NYSERDA recommended installers for WIND power in Erie county. You can look up the same for solar if you like.

I did, it just does not pay off soon enough.
Maybe my house is too big and the requirements are too big.
That said, I don’t have a well pump or sump pump and it still didn’t look good.
That included a $20,000 “rebate” from NY!
I would still have to lay out $30,000.
If I invested $30,000 and just paid my electric bill I would be way ahead.
Like someone mentioned, the panel technology is advancing and the prices will eventually drop.
I will look again in a couple years.