Bennyfizzle's dicktone 318i build thread.

My $.02, dont hate.

Alignment to a small degree, but an alignment only sets the direction the wheels point on each axis all the time. Traction is mostly about about keeping the tires on the ground and controlling the weight transfer on the tire. Damping, spring rate, ride height, and sway bars (suspension ‘independence’) are where the big changes in drivability come from. And you wont need $7000 Motons to make a decent drift car. Considering most of the changes are free (loosening/tightening bars, raising height) and the rest are super cheap (stiffer spring rates), this is as close to free speed as it gets. I keep saying speed/fast/lap times, sorry, it’s drilled into my head. :lol

I’m having trouble coming up with concrete ‘this will work on every car’ examples because I’ve always spent my time getting my cars to not do this. Either way, with a couple quick laps at AIS or Malta, you could real quickly come up with real good changes. I’d start by softening front sway (maybe even disconnecting on a car like Benny’s), raising rear ride height, etc but one at a time to see what changes what and where.

Agree with you on toe, I dont think big numbers in or out on either end is the hot ticket. Big toe/camber/caster in or out will benefit you in one specific instance of the corner - initiation, slide, [whatever the term is for a smooth end to the slide with no snap] - but hurt you in another.

There is an optimum “static” state to the car, meaning alignment and things that dont change while you are running the car. This includes tire size and alignment. BUT I doubt its crazy out of the ordinary. Who knows, have to experiment to find out.

That snappy action would be affected by that tire size, compound, temperature, etc its not the only cause or way to fix it. [/Cpt. Obvious]

True, however there is always one best setup on the car (take the driver out of the equation). The real trick is to make the driver able to drive that setup. One of my goals for this year is to lose my preference for a very slightly pushy car on corner entry because a very slightly looser setup is faster. So I’ve been setting my car up that way and then teaching the driver (me) how to get that fast lap out of it.