Better MPG...

This may be a dumb question.

But when accelerating up a hill or from a light, what will net better mpg in a turbocharged car:

1: Accelerate with a light foot but take revs up to 3.5-4K then shift or:

2: Accelerate with a heavier foot but short shift at 2.5K.

discuss

1. Accelerate with a light foot to 2.5k then shift.

With no technical proof to back it up, I’d say #1. Increased boost = greatly increased air which increases fuel.

getting into boost will almost always take down MPG’s. Revving higher in general will usually yield the same results. A lot of it depends on where your particular engine is most efficient.

where does it spool up? where does the next gear start you at?

just drive around the hill.

Ding.

I’m not asking what I should do to get better mpg.
I’m asking out of those two options, what would net better mpgs?

with a light foot, even with a small ass turbo on the wrx, it still doesn’t get out of vacuum.
with a heavier foot, you are getting into boost (maybe 3-4 psi) but you would be shifting sooner, so less RPMS

But number 2 you would have that wide open, I believe it would be dumping more fuel into the motor, IE running it rich. Where as the first one it would be a higher A/F ratio running a little leaner…

#1 would probably be better.

I guess it kind of matter what you consider light and heavy foot. light as in 25% throttle, and heavy 100%? or 75% ???

i thought 08 wrx dont boost till 2800rpm? so you should probably just shift before then

light would be about 25% and heavy would be 75%.

#1 and #2 would be accelerating at the same speed, just different ways.

guess the only way to figure it out would be to test both.

oh at the same accelerations… #2 would just be terrible inefficient

how often do u go up hills?

man with light foot is … (ok i dont have anything)

but all in all less WOT is better

i try to keep my car 25% TPS i dont think i have gone 100% TPS in a long time

That is likely when it hits full boost under full throttle.

best gas mileage going up a hill would be to bury the speedo before the hill and coast up it.

your on a hill so you’re under a lot of load so you’ll boost very quickly…

the answer I would go with is that you should accelerate until you can shift into the next gear comfortably and this might involve some boost. If you shift too soon you’re just robbing peter to pay paul.