Buying a dell

well i decided not buy a lap top and get a desktop…

i was looking at the dell B110 http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110C&s=dhs

but i also was looking at the dell E310
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entdt_e310?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

all i need this for is fast internet, typing papers… and maybe a little gaming… plus i want to hook up my ps2 to run online…

what do u guys think?

i work for dell and can tell u the b110 is one youll wanna stay away from if your gonna wanna do gaming. the e310 is the better system. if you could afford it, you should get the e510. 510 has a lot better processor, bigger monitor, 128mb video card. a ton better if ur doing gaming

when using a ps2 online do u have to have a good computer? or is just a good connection…

im not a major gamer … but u would reccomond the 310 over the 110… i was going to upgrade the 110 to 512 mb 160 gb and have the 15" flat screen

i just figured there more hardware and memory compared to the 310…

im trying to spend under 500 seeing i need to buy a winter car

you dont need a computer to play ps2 online. u need a network adapter and an ethernet connection to plug into the adapter.

yes i would definitely recommend the 310 over the 110.

if you have decent credit, you can always sign up for the dell account.

for $499, you can get this in an e310:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 w/HT Technology (3.06GHz,533FSB)Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs80GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache
Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
`15 inch E156FP Analog Flat Panel

just wait for when dell has those retarded deals… you can get a steal… just find out what specs you need and wait for it…

unless you really need a computer… then Its at the point whether you need a desktop or a laptop…

if you need a desktop… you can get the cheap custom built, its a DIY, and its really easy… many people here will help you, including myself

if its a laptop… define what you need

I really don’t think I’ll ever build another computer. Go with the E310 Poose just posted. I doubt you could build it much cheaper, and if you go the build it route you’re then on your own when you have issues. With the dell for a full year if anything happens you call the 800 number and they fix it.

looks like you have the problem figured out already :stuck_out_tongue:

well there are 5 year warranties on harddrives
new eggs RMA is amazing.
you can FULLY customize and get what you want/need
also you really learn computers, when you fuck them up and you fight through it to fix them.

but then there are these deals that happen…

Compaq for $180 then jsut grab a CRT or a 17inch LCD and you are set…

but my thing with buying computers, from dell and such… is paying for the software. If you know the right people thats all free, there is no point in buying software now adays

Yeah, my thing is I work 8-5 M-F as a software engineer, then do some side work from home. So to me my PC is like my TV… I just want to hit the button and have it work, not have to fuck with it and troubleshoot it when something goes wrong. It’s not that I don’t know how, because I do, it’s that my time is worth more than the few bucks I save building it.

As for software, I just bought a new Dell laptop in January and I got almost nothing for software with it, just a legit copy of the OS that I wanted, and a bunch of demo versions that I immediately uninstalled.

fucking :word:

Buy an Acer

I’ve built 3 PCs in this house, and heavily modded 1 more. No bugs, no downtime, no issues over the last couple of years. 1 is running 24/7, the other 3 see regular (2-4 hours/day) use.

Issues & bugs should be worked out within the first 6-24 hours.

Unless You’re talking a Linux box or similar.

I’m not calling Jay & Joe out on this, I just don’t see the troubleshooting problems. :gotme:

In either case, Listen to Poose if You want a turnkey & decent PC.

sounds liek im going to get that dell… anybody got any hook ups lol…jk

im going to order it tomm afternoon…

just another quick question about the dells… i have a wireless router in my house already… can they install a wireless router in the computer ? or do i have to buy that seprate?

definately don’t build a PC. :lol:

all i can say: Dell Notebook’s warranty + Indian (online) tech. service = FTW

got everything fixed so easily…fast…and free…

I built my PC… had one issue withoverheating that just some of the good thermal paster fixed instantly. I’m glad I built my computer. It was a fun learning experience.

Plus I built it to exactly what I wanted. Not close but this and this are different. I would build another computer in a heartbeat over buying a store bought one. It’s much more personal when you build your own rig and it works and runs beautifully.