Data Backups at home

Just remember that DVD-r is not an archival media. That layer you burn to degrades surprisingly quickly over time, unlike a stamped DVD.

My vote is still online backup. They don’t give a shit that your music is pirated or not and the RIAA isn’t going to start searching Mozy because the files aren’t shared out. At 1MB up that initial backup is going to take a while but once it’s done just backing up the changes won’t take long at all.

yeah, I would have a hard time doing the DVD route.

Problem with that also is that when you perform weekly/monthly backups or w/e, the last set becomes obsolete. So over time you end up buying more and more dvd’s and then end up with a useless stack of used DVDs.

It’s quick and easy, but not ideal. Actually, it’s not quick at all. It requires a lot of human intervention…That doesn’t jive with me. I prefer automation.

I think a weekly cronjob to rsync to a RAID 1 array in the laundry closet is the cheap, reliable way to go here. If I only need 320GB of space, it should be a super cheap operation.

My fear is using someones cloud storage solution with their propitiatory app that includes encryption could easily be reversed if they were hacked.

if you encrypt shit your self this would cause issues with the incremental backups.

However I am wacky when it comes to security shit so what you feel safe doing might be completely different lol

There could be a lot of personal information in my documents…That aspect of pusing to the cloud makes me a little uneasy.

Although, there’s probably a better chance of my web server getting hacked and someone gaining access to my network and stealing it.

http://mozy.com/privacy/commitment/

PS, I’m not a Mozy sales guy or anything. I had an account and canceled it in fact. My only problem with it was they didn’t really have any good way to restore 3TB of data. I backed up 1TB as a test and the restore failed hard. They’ve emailed me since several time saying they’ve completely redone their restore system but I haven’t bothered giving it another try. My new “backup” plan is to keep a list of what I have via a scheduled task batch file and if I lose a drive simply use my 35meg down connection to redownload it from newsgroups. :slight_smile:

http://www.carbonite.com/

^ That’s the other one talked about a lot.

not paying monthly for any service…hard drives are too cheap

good solution for others though, and the security sounds pretty good.

The problem with “just add another drive” is it doesn’t really give you a backup. Flood, fire, electrical surge… all those will take your backup out at the same time as your main data. The only thing really critical to me is my photography stuff and anything I shoot worth keeping I upload to my flickr account anyway. I keep copies in sync between my desktop/laptop as well and from time to time I update a DVD-R and bring it with me to work.

For $54 a year though the online thing is one of those rather trivial monthly costs.

I hear ya…really do. I have a lot of “trivial costs” though

15/month for usenet
25/year for flickr
7/month settop boxes for tv’s that I just added

this shit is all starting to add up… I keep saying “oh 10 bucks a month is nothing”, then next thing I know, I’m spending 100/month on a bunch of shit that I really don’t need.