Desktop Computer ( what to get?)

I used to know a shitload about computers and I even built my own from barebones up. that was about 11 years ago and my computer is outdated…

currently have:
Windows XP SP3
Asus board
Pentium 4 1.70GHz
768 MB of Ram
It runs good and I have 0 problems with it. but it is slow compared to my girlfriend’s brand new laptop

What Im looking for:
I dont need an extreme gaming computer, This desktop will mainly be used for internet browsing / downloads.
large HDD space ( 600GB and up) even tho I will probably add another drive at some point to just store music/movies on.
want a Flatscreen monitor 20inches or bigger
I dont need a fancy graphics card, just something that will play Starcraft 2 when it comes out and looks good.
Do not need a printer or any other accessories besides a keyboard.

I never really cared for Dell but Im kinda leaning towards getting one and just cleaning out all the dell installed crap and setting it up to my liking.
I dont want an HP or junky Emachines.

I do like this Dell however:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9156619&type=product&id=1218038553111

Best buy has deals on it here and there with a printer and 23inch monitor but Im not really looking to spend $1200. Looking along the lines of $800-$1000

I dont know what to look for as for processors, which ones are good and which are good for what im looking to do with the computer?

Also Im unsure about vista, I love the way it works and looks but I HATE how it always like, “are you sure” “are you really sure?” “windows needs your permission” bullshit

any help would be great. thanks

If you don’t want Vista, then go barebones and build it… the technology has changes but the parts still go together the same way.

I think Dell MAY have an option to have WinXP installed still, or you can go with No OS and do it yourself.

As far as gaming goes, you’re going to at least want one that has a standalone video card. Maybe even SLi so that you can expand… The big thing is buying a computer that has the ability to be upgraded (RAM capacities, video card, CPU etc etc.)

i work at a computer company and i hate working on computers when i come home. I bought a Hp elite desktop with the 24’ hd monitor for 1300. I love it. Only problem is vista which if you do any sort of programming you will hate it.

It’s actually pretty easy to turn that shit off…

Just go to control panel…user accounts…select your log-in account…turn User Account Control off…reboot.

Vista still sucks though…:cool:

ya we did that but then it started freakin out saying “your computer is at risk OMGWTF”

We got the middle of the line Dell last year during a big presidents day sale, not sure why they did such a big deal for president’s day, but we got a loaded unit with upgraded hard drive and memory for like $500. It didn’t come with a monitor and it did come with vista and we love it so far. This computer is 10X faster than our last one and it has not given us any problems so far. I have always bought dell and only once did any of the computers crap out on me and it was because of a bad fan after like 4 years.

check out portatech.com

Build yourself a barebones (Case, CPU, mother board,Power supply)

then go to newegg.com and order your RAM, HD, Wireless, etc…

Portatech will assemble the components then ship to you.

you can get a hell of a quad core setup from portatech for $400.

I checked out portatech, not bad. $877 with:
top of the line intel processor (that quad shit)
Windows XP ( I dont really need vista, and if I do I’ll just upgrade later, or to windows 7)
intel motherboard
4GB memory ( which I’ll probably upgrade a little later)
2 video cards better then the onboard video
on board audio ( I dont need anything special)
CD burner, no dvd since I already have a brand new pioneer lightscribe, and you just cant get a normal CD rom
no monitor
normal included power supply
a fancy tower so you can see the insides ( which I dont really need)
no keyboard and mouse, already got a nice mouse and I can go get a keyboard on my own
160GB HDD ( I’ll add another one, probably a 500GB or so)

$1097 with a 22 inch monitor

I dunno what Im gonna do, If I can find something for around $800 with a 21inch and above monitor with something like those features above I’d probably be sold

do not get a dell, they are horrible.

hp is one of the best right now, you may pay an extra $50 or so but it’s worth it.

once you turn off uac, then turn off the security center and there are no more annoying popups. go into security center and on the left there should be an option to change how security center alerts you, go there and uncheck everything.

like i said shelby, if you buy the other components elsewhere besides portatech you will save A LOT!

Their barebones systems are cheap but they get you on the additional things needed. Go to newegg.com for your vid cars, ram, hd. Or if your not gaming just stick with a DVI on-board video motherboard. Some of them are rather surprising. Geforce 7100 or better.

if you are looking to play a new game that has not come out yet, chances are the onboard video card won’t handle it.

I agree. I got a Radeon 4850 OC’d to 1025mhz…saweeeet. LOL

but he said he wasn’t trying to build a gaming machine, but then contradicted himself with adding 2 graphics cards to his portatech build.

dell has a scratch and dent outlet that is pretty reasonable also.

The only problem with MOST of the Dells/HPs are that there are serious restrictions that can be overlooked. Basically they will put a blazing fast processor and lots of RAM but it means nothing when it is bottlenecked through:

1.) Slow Ram Speed
2.) Slow motherboard Front Side Bus
3.) Slow Hard Drive (raptors used to be great, I got a Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb for $60 on newegg.) pretty much the hype of hd’s right now for the money.

I would say custom build if you aren’t in a super rush. Portatech ships out pretty fast.

If I were you I would make sure you get the new I7 processors… They blow everything out of the water and fix a lot of the traditional bottlenecks in the Intel Architecture. Here is Dell’s offering for the I7’s: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-xps-730x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

In the new architecture RAM speed and FSB go out the Window. I personally hate Raptors, if you need i/o performance put your OS in a RAID 0+1 and be done with it.

not 2 graphics cards, I said 2 cards better from the normal on board. ( meaning I didnt get on board, and I didnt get the 1 choice, I got the card that was in the middle performance wise.)