Desktop Server Solutions?

Im looking to build a monster for a desktop machine.

I want dual xeon’s (can’t go 64 bit yet, my software does not support it yet)
fast FSB
video card is not needed, i will be terminal’ing in…
at least 2gb of fasssst memory.

thing is, i need some help finding the right parts… not enough time to do research right now…

if you uber nerds do have some time i would appreciate your help…

please post up some links to the products your talking about…

:shoot:

Price range :)?

you can build SUPER fast
but how much do you want to spend

Try to keep costs down… i just need what is listed… oh ya i need a PS but that can be found anywhere… i just need a box that i can beat the shit out of…

anywone

Why can’t you go 64 yet? It’s not like current software won’t run on 64.

dual processor 64…?

fuck xeon, go 64 bit man, you wont regret it.

so lets build a 64 bit dual chip setup…

it would be a good test machine for our software. . . .

ready go

Damn, too much misinformation in this thread…

AMD Opteron is a 32/64 bit processor superior to Intel’s variety in many many ways.
The new Intel Xeon’s also are 32/64 bit.

AMD Opteron is now available in a dual CORE as well as dual CPU configurations. These CPU’s are quite a bit more pricey than thier single core couterparts.

More information is available http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1788688,00.asp

EDIT - if you can afford it, go with the Opteron setup for sure! 4 CPU’s on 2 CPU dies > Quad Processor in terms of your wallet.

misinformation?

“64 bit CPU’s can’t run 32 bit software…” That is misinformation…

ohh fuck yeah it is

lol, since im running xp64 and everything i have runs great.

Not necessarily. True 64bit CPU’s cannot run 32bit software. The AMD64 is not a true 64bit CPU, it provides 64bit extensions to the x86 architecture (which is 32bits), which is why you may see it written as x86_64. x86_64 is meant to be a transition to the 64bit world while still being able to use 32bit legacy applications.
Also, kernel related devices, like drivers or modules, must be the same type as the kernel. For example, you cannot run a 32bit driver on a 64bit kernel, which is why there aren’t (or weren’t) any antivirus software for Windows XP x64 edition (or whatever it is called).
/offtopic

Go with an AMD setup… Depending on what you’re doing with this box (hint: tell us) you may be better off with just going with a dual-core amd64 box.

I was speaking purely about the subject matter at hand. :wink:

computer forensics. password cracking. hacking the plant.