Good Programs to download(Windows)

Wow.

“Hi, I’m new to the world of computers and the internets. I’ve downloaded cool stuff! What cool stuff have you downloaded?! Let me tell you some amazing coincidences that I’m considering to be hard evidence.”

every persons computer ive ever had to clean up because it was flooded with bullshit and viruses and spyware and stupid toolbars and the whole 9… had some sort of spyware protection or anti-virus.

i’ve NEVER ran something like that and my computer runs so crispy

laff:mamoru:

Ok well putting it this way,

I have been using Limewire on my laptop for over 1 1/2 years and have never had any problems with viruses.

As for the fact when I had used Limewire on my desktop computer, i was getting viruses up the ass.

I dont know why it works like this.

Now all that i asked for was some good programs to download from the internet(most pref. free).

No BS resopnses, I just asked for a simple thing.

Now If you could kindly post some programs and a short description of what they are for/do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the original topic, what exactly are you looking for in programs or just looking for random shit to download?

I can give you about 20 programs that are free that I use daily but I doubt you would find any use for them.

Just a few right now I can think of are GNU Cash, Blender, Crimson Editor, and VideoLan. If you want to find random stuff tho, check otu www.sourceforge.net

thank you for being short and to the point. ill check the site out.

If your stupid enough to think a normal program is 851 KB you deserve a virus, otherwise your fine and can get free AVG or other programs when using limewire. Emule and sharethefiles.com only has real files.

Kazaa lite, if you can find the real one that is =]

It’s funny, I just formatted my laptop this weekend to start fresh, so I have the list in my mind of my “critical apps”.

Office suite (I personally like 2003)
VB6
Visual Studio 2005
Winzip
Winrar
Photoshop CS3
Flickr uploader
Gmail notifier
DVD Fab Platinum
AVG Free
Goodsync (cool util I use for syncing everything in My Documents between laptop/desktop)
Nero
ZoneAlarm (only use it when I’m surfing @hotspots, good hardware firewall @home)
Adobe acrobat reader

And the 5000 or so reboots to get all the updates for windows media center.

You could use 7Zip to replace both WinZip and WinRAR. Hence the reason I mentioned it before.

only thing that sucks about 7zip is that it cannot create rar archives as it’s propritary

:frowning: :tdown:

edit:

as for must haves (IMO of course)

NOD32
Comodo Firewall (I prefer sygate, but it no longer exists)
3DsMAX
Photoshop
Illustrator
Firefox
Thunderbird
VLC media player
WinRar
Open Office
uTorrent
PeerGuardian
VirtualPC

:clap:

Damn, I guess that uTorrent WinRAR, mspaint, calc, and god knows how many other applications are viruses. :frowning:

We use the winzip command line addon for a couple programs at work so I need it installed for debugging anyway. Winrar takes up what, a meg or so? Not a big deal to keep it around just for my .rar’s.

all of this can be done with one totally free totally legal download can anyone guess?

ubuntu

no, not really

while linux is a nice OS… until major developers start taking it seriously and start releasing software for it, it will always be the underdog IMO.

granted there are a TON of really nice open source alternatives to most commercial software, they’re feature set and 3rd party support leaves alot to be desired

ex. GIMP < Photoshop
InkScape < Illustrator [EDIT] although, I LOVE inkscape’s bezier curve tool 1000000X better than illustrators
Blender < 3DsMax

Hai gais, I’ve got a car. What are some good places to dive?

You have an SUV so what do you care about good places to drive. :wink:

why doesn’t someone just slipstream all these programs onto a windows xp pro sp2 disk? that way you don’t have to go hunting on fresh installs.

:gtfo: