Holy Oddness O_o

Was trying to do an upgrade with some parts that I got from Skurge’s junk pile. He had an old AMD1400, which I was going to use as a small upgrade from my 1200. So I put it in set the clock multiplier accordingly.

Computer booted up running great, so far so good. I run though a few simple apps nice and stable. Then I install and fire up 3dmark2001, and “BAM” I’m hit with a flickering screen, dropped polygons, it keeps constantly resizing the drawing area. And all kinds of general crazy shit. So I’m thinking maybe it some kind of compatabilty issue. After a bit of tweaking and updating nothing would let me run it so I could break it in. (Well it would run stable, just couldn’t see shit)

At this point I’m like fuck it I want to play a game, and load up WarCraft 3. And the same shit happens, crap flying everything screen stretching/distorting, missing polygons and all kinds of crap everywhere. Go back to windows, everything is fine there.

At this point I’m thinking what in the hell is going on? So for testing and seeing as I’m using “antibiotic ointment” in place of thermal paste I checked to proc temp, and find it at 51C which is perfect if not low for this CPU. So I bump the speeds back down to 1200 for testing. Load up WarCraft, same issue.

So just for giggles, I try an old ATI RAGE 128 on it in there. Load up Warcraft and it was even worse, same for 3dMark. But it was perfectly fine in windows, So I’m all like :bloated:

So I toss my spare drive with XP on it in there. Booted up ran 3dMark, same issue. So at this point I’m baffled, but I put the old CPU in fired it up. And it ran flawlessly. Put the newer drive back in, same there everything is perfect.

I’d have to say that is the first time I have ever seen a CPU cause severe graphical glitching like that, but at the same time be 100% stable in any other usage. :wtf:

Anyways that is my odd issue for the day…

51c idle seems a little odd,thats like 125f.Mine idled around 40.This XP-1700 im running now idles at 31c-35c.

Get some artic silver thermal paste for it then try it again.(compUSA sells it if you dont feel like waiting for mail order).I’d say antibiotic ointment doesnt exactly have good thermal properties lol.But I have heard of people using toothpaste.:frowning:

3dmark on a 1400 amd. lmao

That 51C was at full load. It idles around 43

For reference sake under full load my 1200 that I have owned for 4 years runs up to 63C under full load proper thermal paste no stability issues. Early revision socketed AMDs run HOT unfortunatly.

The XP’s run a ton cooler.

Even though this was one of the oddest things I’ve seen in awhile. I know overheat would cause that, but usually that is followed by a crash/freeze/BSOD. None of which happened. Asides from the 3d glitches it was 100% stable for the few hours I had it running prior.

impressive to say the least

Threads getting constrained when CPU heats up?

It did it right from boot even after cooling down besides the older 1200 I have runs hotter, and it’s just fine. I was looking at the CPU after I took it back out and realized a portion of the “glass” core on the corner is cracked pretty good. I’m kinda suprised as I’ve seen more with lesser damage not even startup. Not sure if I chipped it when I took it out. I’m thinking about putting it back in just to see what kind of funky shit happens now. :slight_smile:

I’d probably say that that CPU is shot

strange…last time I used that cpu it worked fine, it has been sitting in my basement for about a year though

eh…what can ya expect for free

I’m not complaining, just thought it was one of the oddest things I have seen in a long time. I have have an extra 1ghz proc I can toss into that mobo to see if it will do anything.

If not I got a 5 1/4" drive out of it. :tup: