Homework! Magazine Covers

So i have to design these magazine covers (drafts) 5 total. Of course I wait till the last minute…

Heres 1 of 5
http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/starboy-Magazine1.png
btw , i took that picture too GERDOUCHE!

2 of 5
http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/starboy-Magazine2.png

3 of 5
http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/starboy-Magazine3.png

sweet jetta. i just picked one up same color but with skinny bumpers and US lights. its about to get a single round headlight setup.

btw nice magazine cover

Looks great, I think there could be a few more “items” on the cover. It just looks a smidge more bare than a usual magazine…not cluttered enough I guess LOL

that my buddies car steve… think his names Steveo on here?

yah these are just drafts i dont have to go crazy with em.

haha steveos car that sick lets see the others…you should also do one dedicated to piece of shit cars…like rust is a must mag(idk) you could even use my truck for the cover lol…

nick not trying to bash you at all i like your cover…

i had that same project…i was gonna do a car one or a motorcycle one…

but insted i did one on myself named it designers world.

had pic of myself shoulder up shot and half of my face went into a dot matrix circuit board.

and basicly made it around my resume.

when your going around for design jobs they want the normal white thick paper resume but they also like to see you talents i landed alot of side jobs with that magizine cover/resuma.

i also did a resume on a wine bottle and scored a nice paying side job.

not trying to knock on yours it looks good but teachers see time and time again cars bikes fashion

do something a lil differnt and something you can use in your protifilo…

when it comes down to doing your internship and interviewing they see 30-40 portifolios and ill bet money half them mag covers or on cars bikes or fashion…

i had a really good teacher that i ended up being an assistant for that told me soon as i started take a look what everyone else is doing and do the complete oppisite and do it to befit your self…cause when it boils down to it…your classmates are your competition when you are going for a job…(same teacher that made alot of students cry when it came time for portifilo review cause he rejected almost 90% cause everyone had the same stuff)

when it all boils down in pittsburgh desgin jobs are hard to come by…and anything you can do to catch a persons eye can seal a deal on a nice design job or a copy center job.

I’d agree with Sinister. Do atleast one that’s going to catch your teachers attention. Also seeing how your doing a real mag pick on up, maybe a few and see their layouts.

You could do something on architecture, clocks, antiques. Those are just a few that came to me right now.

DOn’t mind me chiming in with my constructive criticism…

Bottom right under CEL …add something like ‘bikini contest’ and some more text to fill in that space to the left of possible bomba bikini contestants picture.

“indepth” should be hyphenated and “arn’t” is spelled “aren’t”

(and not that non-car people will notice, but that’s a new Civic dash on the VW issue’s cover.)

updated. 2 of 5 added

totally agree with you on this one. but i just wish you could see my compatition. just to add again to these are just drafts I think that we are just doing these to give the teacher a general overview of what we can do. Then “I think” we will select one we like best and then boost it up more.

I like the shutter bug one. You might wanna add something more than Nikon though. Unless you want to have some type of them going on with this month’s special we cover the new nikon’s that have come out. Throw some medium format cameras on there.

Also under the tested part you can add the new Nikon 55-200 VR that just came out a couple days ago.

another editorial note… The top banner says “if you aren’t rubbing YOUR AREN’T…” It should probably be you aren’t in both instances.

3 of 5

i think they all suck and you can do better…

totally agree with you. (although the shutter bug one isnt to bad)

My brother was the same way about my animation projects, same with my photography work.

I think your shutter bug one right now is the strongest.

in all honesty

f what the teacher thinks…no offense if i listened to the teachers i had i would of done my internship at some fucking shit dip company that only brings you on to file papers and makes coffee 99% did that i went out find my own and was paid for an internship and recived vacation time ha!

some in there are really good and are there to actually teach and learn the real world…others just give you a hand out and show you how to make chrome letters in photoshop…

i wouldent pick a main stream mag if you have to do

especially shutter and national geo…they allready know what they can do and have done it…

you need to improve something that sucks…and is outside of your personalty…

dont look so main stream…take some rinkie dink publictaion and do that so that side by side your design and your concept improves that mag. you need to sell yourself with each job one by improving and keeping it along the lines of not offending the previous work

like something like the clipper. yeah its stupid yeah its free…rock it make it baddass make me not throw it away soon as i get or cut the cupons out for free egg rolls at the chinese resteraunt

and rule of thumb if anything you think is a draft think of it as a final product…

i will give you that… but really none of them are your best work. You need to remember that you are not competing with just your classmates. You are going to be competing with the world when you are showing this to future employers.

I know how you work, and this is not your top of the line work yet.