How to visually tell if a turbo is journal or ball bearing?

This kid on craigslist has a gt3076r for sale… I bought ladukes civic in thoughts of taking the turbo kit off, keeping turbo and sell it as an N/A but after seeing what laduke dude did with the paint I wouldnt get SHIT for it lol… Didnt wanna fuck lance over by not buying it so I bought it and am just gonna resell the thing.

#1 - Do the Garrett 3076r’s even come journal bearing?

#2 - I’ve seen various hp ratings for these, whats the real max hp rating?

#2 - If the answer of question 1 is YES, how can I tell if the turbo is journal bearing or ball bearing without taking it apart?

Really wanted to go with the gtx30r but I can probably get this thing with 700 miles on it for $500-600 which imo is real cheap?

Thanks bros

So far from researching the only two ways to check are by spinning the wheel to see if it spins more then a few seconds and BB’s will have a billet aluminum compressor hub, most times anodized in a color.

anyone have anything to add to this?

edit- i dont know shit, apparently they do make journal bearing turbos. I do know its pretty obv, BB will spin really smooth and for way longer.

A BB turbo will spin for a decent amount of time where a journal bearing will not (especially without oil pressure). As far as I know a true Garrett GT3076r only comes in ball bearing. If it’s still on the car run the car for a minute and shut if off. If you hear the turbo still spinning for a good amount of time it’s BB.

As far as HP rating, this is a tough one because it really depends on the application. I want to say a very efficient B-series Honda could make 600whp stretching this turbo. 400whp seems like a very fair general number for the 30r though. I’d say I’m somewhere around 375-400awhp with a 30r @ 22psi on my 2.2l stock Audi.

Hope this helps.

If you want to compare it to a known real gt3076r, let me know.

The r designates a bb chra

Also, the oil inlet orifice is removable on the bb center sections as thats what physically holds and positions the bearing cartridge in the housing. Journal turbo do not have this. Thier bearings are retained by internal circlips

All Garrett GT series ball bearing turbos are water cooled. there will be 4 ports on the center section. 2 for oil top and bottom, and then 2 for coolant on the sides.

look at the serial plate, and email Garrett the Ser.no. off the turbo, but like everyone has said, its easy to tell a true GT series to a non GT.

PM Arod.

=)