I am learning to ride!

Don’t do this. As he said knobbie tires are not meant to be ridden on the street and if you’re a new rider your ASKING to hurt yourself. Get your confidence and get comfortable shifting and putting around in the dirt and then try to find a road bike someone won’t kill you over if you drop it.

dont be a pussy!

I would rather learn what a low side is at 25-30mph on a $1000 dirt bike that I can pick back up and keep riding around than a street bike.

Knobbies might not be the best choice sure… if you want to split hairs, get some %70/30 tires, (enduro or on/off road tires) then hit the asphalt.

Still there needs to be a transistion point between thinking you are Ricky Carmichael putting your foot out on turns, sliding the ass end into the turn with the rear brake clutch in to thinking you are Joe Rocket entering a turn without locking the ass end up and keeping your foot on the pegs, etc. that was my point.

Thanks captain obvious.

Where does it say anywhere in this thread that this person is riding fast or banking turns in the dirt on a dirtbike?! He’s simply learning how to ride. I also think he said his future plans were to get a Honda Rebel. I would love to see anyone go “Joe Rocket” on something like that.

i dont know how dirt bikes compare to sport bikes and what they ride on but i learned how to ride on a new gsxr 600 and just took it slow. have your dad give you pointers if he knows how to ride but it really comes down to basic feel and how you maneuver the bike.

dont ride past your limit on roads and be on guard at all times. bikes are made hard to ride because of the temptation to do stupid stuff, if you act like an adult and respect riding then you should be good.

i never rode a bike besides my firends a few times and i went out and bought a new gsxr600. krazykid even commented when i posted that he would be looking for it in the scrapyard later that month lol no offense was taken. but i rode that bike 7000 miles in one year and then sold it without incident.

No problem Sergeant Sarcasm

Working in the auto salvage pool business (bikes too)…You wouldn’t believe how many bikes we get in with 7-50 miles on them. Seems like every year there is at least 1 250 Ninja amongst others (popular starter bike). A couple of years ago we got a new H-D in that the guy crashed in to the curb leaving Spitzies (maiden voyage).
My point is that learning in the dirt on a less expensive bike IMHO is definitely the way to go. Everything you learn in the dirt will carry over to pavement in one way or another. Then stepping up in increments to a more powerful bike for the street isn’t a bad idea either.

You guys really need to take what I say sometimes for a grain of salt. Just becasue I make long winded responses sometimes doesnt mean its a law that needs to be followed word for word. Ill make this a bit easier:

1: Get on dirtbike, learn to modulate throttle and clutch, go straight, stop. do it again and again.
2: Make turns and figure 8’s on dirtbike; slow 1st gear, clutch in rolling, 2nd gear, 3rd, etc.
3: practice hard breaking. Learn NOT to lock up the rear brake, or worse the front brake in a straight line.
4: Practice hard breaking in turns… dont lock up either. (hello front tire tuck)
5: do all the above with feet on the pegs 100% of the time.
6: put on/off road tires on dirt bike, atleast jeans, shin and knee pads, elbow pads, STREET gloves, street jacket, and RIDING boots and hit an empty parking lot.
7: do all the above, and feel, learn and understand the different feeling the bike now has on the different surface and different tire type.

Until you feel like a pro off the road, dont fuck around on the pavement. until you feel like a pro in the parking lot, dont fuck around on the street.

Physically riding the bike is about 1/3’d of what keeps you alive and having fun on the street. Its the other cars and people making decisions you cant make for them that you need to be aware of too. I would even get a friend with a car to simulate traffic in the parking lot too. Follow it around, have them hit the brakes, stop, go, turn, yield to them, sudden movements, etc around you so you get to see what its like to make split second maneuvers on the bike in a somewhat controlled area.

is that better?

It was more becasue I liked the bike and didnt want to see it hurt. :slight_smile: Whats the plans for this year, another ride?

YUP.

Also one last thing I would like to say is this. If you have friends or family that ride with you while you are driving, and they say to you, WATCH OUT, did you even see that back there, notice them grabbing for the ohh-shit handle, and alerting you to stuff they see that you don’t… you wont last long on a bike. NO WAY NO HOW. Also if you are a lane drifter, later braker, yellow light runner, stop sign roller, someone that like to take in the sights on city driving kind of person, you better cut all that shit before you get on a bike.

My wife’s friend wanted to get a bike, and I used to play a game of what color was that car. I would notice a car about to pull out of a parking lot infront of them about 300 feet ahead and ask her what color it was. no clue, didnt even notice. :Idiots You think you are an alert driver in a car, multiply that by 10 THEN get on a bike.

…or

1. Get used EX250.
  2. Pay $200 for a trackday.
  3. Have a coach power level you up at a circuit.
  4. Profit.

:rofl

Hook me up with some salvage bikes :ninja

But yes few bikers are “long term” riders. Either sell them because it’s a toy with very few miles a year on it, or family, or friends crashing etc etc.

where is this place? do you sell bikes or parts cheap?:wow