i need help with math

Write an eqaution in standard form for the eplipse
with foci of 6,0 and -6,0
an vertices of 3 and -3

could somone show me step by step how to do this i can get half the equation then the rest comes out mest up

google it?

and shouldnt your math book tell you this? seriously

Well, if the foci are (-6,0) and (6,0), then the ellipse is centered at the origin (0,0). The general form of an ellipse is:

((x-h)^2)/a^2 + ((y-k)^2)/b^2 = 1

note: sorry for the crappy notation, but (x-h)^2 means (x-h) squared, just in case you didn’t understand

the center of an ellipse is (h,k). since the center is (0,0), you really have:

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

The length of the horizontal axis is 2a, which is from -6 to 6 for a total distance of 12. So a=6. The length of the vertical axis is 2b, which is from -3 to 3 for a total distance of 6. So b=3.

This now gives you the equation:
x^2/36 + y^2/9 = 1

So there ya go. That should be right. I’m dead tired, just put in a 12 hour day, and am drowsy from NyQuil, so I apologize if there’s errors. Hope that helps!

dude…^

not to sound retarded, but what the fuck kind of math is this? i never got passed 10th grade geometry. haha.

Calculus :slight_smile:

i am not a math person. whoa.

Lol, that’s ok.

i’d totally be into it if i could understand it. at ecc i had to take elementary algebra that didn’t even count as a credit because i’m so bad in math. i couldn’t imagine taking calc. i should buy some math books or something. hahaha.

ok seriously why do you keep posting in this thread if you dont know the question?

[quote=“livin4hockey,post:7,topic:33471"”]

Calculus :slight_smile:

[/quote]

UHM THATS NOT CALC, THAT SHOULD BE TAUGHT IN A TRIG/GEOMETRY CLASS

doesn’t calc involve trig?

to an extent, but its like taking a pre-alg before you take algebra. calc is more or less this

calc is basically a change in something over a change in another measurement, hence the deltax/deltay

[quote=“66impalass,post:12,topic:33471"”]

UHM THATS NOT CALC, THAT SHOULD BE TAUGHT IN A TRIG/GEOMETRY CLASS[QUOTE=xcapandinkx;632894]doesn’t calc involve trig?

[/quote]

[/QUOTE]

:ham:

[quote=“newman,post:15,topic:33471"”]

:ham:

[/quote]

X2

I LOVE CAPITALS ALSO!!

HEY SOME OF US ARE STILL AT WORK DOING SOME CAD.

I WISH I WAS COOL ENOUGH FOR CAD :frowning:

Thank you everyone who replied with helpful answers

message above was from kawasakikx he is my cousin