Issue's with RRAS server

Situation: I rolled out a new server package at one of my jobs recently. Due to the fact that they were recently a peer to peer network, they were upgraded to a Windows 2000/2003 server enviroment. Originally, they has a Linksys wireless router that assigned IP addresses. Since the DHCP server was rolled out, this was not needed, but I would need a way to share internet connectivity with the computers. I researched Internet Connection Sharing and RRAS and chose RRAS for its security and configuration ability. RRAS was setup with the basic NAT/basic firewall settings, ports that needed forwarding, etc.

I setup RRAS with success but ran into a major problem. User’s are complaining about slow internet speeds. Example: I type in www.pittspeed.com and go to the site, everything will load up fine but the actual reaction time on loading is slow. I will take anywhere from 10-20 seconds for a page to load.

I checked internet speeds via a speedtest and everything was correct with our DSL package (3.0mb down/ 768up). So that was out of the question.

I looked through the RRAS conguration and everything seemed to be in the correct order. My question then is:

1. Are there speed/response time issue with using RRAS?
  2. If yes, are there ways to solve this issue?
  3. Are there any other suggestions to software/hardware to use other then RRAS?

Thanks!
Sean

1. yes
  2. get rid of it, it sucks
  3. go back to your router situation

How’s the traceroute look?

Here is the trace route I ran:

http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/tracert.jpg

Route good. RRAS bad.

:whitey:

yea def use a router in this situation

too much overhead using RRAS