Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4x4 < $3000

I’m paying off my Grand Am soon and will be selling it to my cousin. I need something with 4 doors to haul the kids around in but mainly easier to get my daughter into her car seat. Also been looking for four wheel drive and it’d be nice to have something that can haul a trailer in case I need to tow the MR2 somewhere.

Looking for preferably a Sport with the 4.0 I6. A tow hitch would be nice, but not necessary for the purchase. High miles is ok, not looking for a rust bucket. I know they do rust so a little is ok, it can be cut and patched. I’ve got a basic idea of what their mechanical failures are, so saggy springs are ok, destroyed transfer cases, axles and transmissions are not.

If you have or know of a CLEAN(er) Grand Cherokee with the V8, I’m open to look. I know they have more mechanical driveline failures than the regular Cherokees do and I hear they’re expensive to fix.

Don’t mind if it’s auto or manual but MUST be 4x4 and 4 door.

I’ve been all over Craigslist Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse. They’re disappearing fast or people aren’t returning my phone calls.

Basically need this for towing and for the winter months when I can’t drive the deuce. Should last at least 2 years I’m hoping.

Thanks!

My brother has a white 95 Grand Cherokee thats just been painted (he painted it he does it for a living at a real shop). It is a 5.2 new tie rods/wheels bearings/ball joints/brakes/axles/radiator/ac comp/accumulator/master cylinder…probably some more. Vehicle is clean and very well maintained ( as you can tell when it needs fixing he does it) I think he wants $3500 but he could probably be persuaded. Can grab some pics of it if you would like.

Sure pics would be great - axles (check), how’s the transfer case/rear end and tranny?

I’m willing to look at almost anything, but I don’t want to pay three grand for something if I gotta replace those big parts sooner than later. That and I’d be SOL.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to be thorough and protect my interests.

Seeings how they’re doing maintenance over the weekend, email pics or information to my email, mmcleck [at] gmail [dot] com Thanks.

Last i knew Gary(devioustsi) had a 2000 Cherokee, i don’t what’s your limit when you say high miles, but this one has 200k.