Joint Injuries...what do you know??

Lately I have been experiencing a weird pain in my left ankle when I am running.

It feels as though a tendon or ligament is shifting around the ankle joint on the inside of my left leg.
Pain is probably the wrong way to describe it. Its more like discomfort. I can feel the tendon shifting around when I push off with my left foot. I feel it much more when I am running uphill because I am pushing off harder.

I don’t really think its an injury, but I don’t know what it is. It just started this week and I have been running 4-6 days a week for the last 4 months. I haven’t turned an ankle or had any kind of pain or injury prior to this.

Anyone have any idea what it is and how to fix it??

If you could pinpoint exactly where on your ankle youre having pain, thatd help a lot. It could be something as simple as an inflammation of a tendon or a tendon sheath.

Look at this pic and tell me where abouts it is hurting.
http://lpig.doereport.com/imagescooked/8350W.jpg
this is the right ankle obv so youre going to have to do some mirroring :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, you know how the ankle joint has a protrusion on either side? I am experiencing the discomfort just above the inner “ball” if you will.

Its not really paint though. I just feel like the ligament is shifting forward when I push off. It feels like I could really screw something up if I push off hard enough.

do what i would do, just stop running…lol

I would rather not. I’m in a good groove right now and I am probably in the best shape of my life.

Can you see the ligament running at an oblique angle in the pic that I posted above? It is running from that protrusion and going to the heel. It could very well be that ligament giving you some pain. Try pulling your foot into eversion. For that you would take your left hand and pull the outer aspect of your foot towards your outer leg. If there is no pain, then it sounds like it could be one of the tendons running posteriorly to the malleolus. Idk, feel around some more. Try and compare both ankles in the same spot too.

i read the thread title and due to today’s date and the time right now i thought you hurt yourself smoking

No pain.

It doesn’t happen during normal walking. Only running when I am pushing off hard, i.e. first starting out, running uphill.

It does feel like its occuring behind the ankle ball which I presume is the malleolus you referred to.

That would be easier to address. Sorry to mislead you.

Well, from the info you have given me it sounds like it could be a tendon or tendon sheath issue. The sheath is what wraps the tendon in areas that will be sustaining a lot of friction.

Seeing how you said this is the best shape youve ever been in your life, can I assume this is the most running youve ever done in that period of time?

Idk, for now id just try warming up that area a little bit before running by just rubbing it a little. Then after running put some ice on it. If it gets worse or that isnt helping it at all, then youd be pretty smart to go see a doctor.

sounds like you might need to tone it down, either by going fewer days a week, run for a shorter amount of time, or don’t run as hard. 6 days a week means only one day of rest on those parts. 3-4 days would be ideal, so that you have a day in between sessions to relax and heal.

kudos to being motivated into getting in better shape, though!

Yes, I am definately running more than I ever have in the past. I have been running for 7 years and this thing has come up once in a while. However, in the past I usually took 1-2 days of rest between runs. Lately, I’ve been running 7 days a week. I think tomorrow I will just do the eliptical machine in the gym at work and give the ankle a rest. I don’t want to have to take too much rest from running though (which is what a doctor will tell me)

Start taking Glucocimine Condrioton (sp). It is derived from cartalage of sharks or something lol…but supposedly works amazing for joint pain. My dad dakes it for his back all the time and he said it works great. Its like a daily suppliment kinda thing. I had the same problems when I was on the track team…I got that and shin splints so bad i could barly walk…oh well. Suck it up. lol.