Knock Sensors on v6 1mz-fe with vvti

Anyone know how to replace the knock sensor in a lexus v6 1mzfe with vvti? Or how much it would be? or point me in the direction of a place that could do it for a decent price, the dealer wants 700 bucks and from what i’ve read on club lexus, i’m getting ripped off for what i want done. If anyone has any suggestions to a shop mechanic or place that would be great

get a haynes manual and do it yourself, or find a procedure

Is it stock for the most part? It’s an NA V6, why not just eliminate it by wiring in a resistor?

For example, I’ve eliminated mine with a resistor on my Z. The sensor doesn’t operate over 3k rpm anyway and tends to show false knock / detonation when you have an aftermarket exhaust. This is on a boosted motor where knock / detonation is more of a concern than an NA motor.

It would definitely be a cheap fix if it’s possible.

It is stock, but it is preventing my transmission from shifting into 4th, so essentially the car can only be driven around town. I would do it myself, but i have almost no mechanical knowledge and i rather fix it

Well $700 is steep, but that’s with the full labor price the dealership will be charging you.

Contact some of our vendors here on NYSpeed. I’m sure someone will be able to do it for less. (Click here and scroll down to US Vendor Marketplace: http://www.nyspeed.com/forum.php )

I found a place on transit that did quick estimate over the phone and it was 244 bucks, which is great compared to 700. It’s United on sheridan real close to hopkins, they always have interesting cars infront so i figured id give them a call

I’ve never had any experience with them and don’t think anyone here has a review of them posted but that’s a much better price.

Is that $244 installed?

Yep thats installed, i looked in the Haynes manual and it seems like a fairly easy job if you have experience, tools, and the time…none of which are things i have. I will post up a review of them when i ge the car done. Another great place i know of the top of my head is Louie’s Car Clinic on Main, but i couldn’t bring it to them due to time constraints because i am leaving for Jersey Monday and then finally college on the 24th.