Large Format Printers?

We need a large format printer for the business since it seems all these GC’s are sending out blueprints as pdf’s via emails now. Kinkos is making too much money off of us. Can anyone tell me where in Pgh I can shop for one of these or recommend a brand of printer that is NOT Hewlett-Packard (we boycotted HP products long ago). I’d appreciate any help. :slight_smile:

lexmark or minolta?

maybe s10blazed will see this, he works at a shop that has high format printers.

ha ha, we have an HP too, constant problems…

Might be good to get an account with CDW. They might be able to provide you with some direction and cost savings.

Are they local? I’ll check it out. SAVINGS being the key word :slight_smile:

its actually a website : http://www.cdw.com/default.asp

They are good to work with for small biz computing needs. Also you can probably deal with Dell to help you out. THere sales people are hit or miss on knowledge but might be able to steer you in the right direction.

we deal with CDW alot also. they are a good company

I guess we’ll start there! Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

jinxxy… i have contacts at cdw that will hook it up with info and maybe pricing… let me know if you want their names.

they are based out of chicago… i’ve been to their warehouse… biggest supplier for commercial computer needs in the states.

Sweet. Thanks. I’ll def. let you know. :slight_smile:

cdw for the win buy all my office stuff there

but have to say i have a hp 1055cm plus and its awsome

get something that will except single sheets

go to staples buy white poster paper 22/28 sheets or biggie 4 bucks pack of ten print on them save your self hundreds!!on buying the paper in teh rollls!

are you looking for wide format printers or high volume

i sell them

Wide format, for blueprints. I think standard size is 24x36" and black and white is really all we need but I haven’t seen any BW out there for sale on the net.

What company do you work for?

Jinx,

we used someting similar to this http://shopmiracle.stores.yahoo.net/c7769b.html
at an ad agency I worked for (I think ours was a 800ps). I hate HP with all of my soul, but, that printer wasn’t bad for doing layouts and large box designs (like vacuume boxes). It was 4 color which would be fine for you. Some of the old heads at the firm wanted a 6 color and would complain that the quality was a little off, but I was always like, “but it’s a vacuume box” or “you are working on dog food packaging”… Any way, I was only there to see it in action for about a year, but we didn’t have any problems with it, and ink was fairly cheap for it, like $40 per color.

I don’t know how much you plan on printing out, but a roll of the paper would probably last you over a year, as we usually got about a quarter out of a roll or a roll and a half. I believe it was a 150yd. roll.

We use OCE machines here and they have been pretty solid. They are more for high volume wide format printing so they might be a bit more than what you’re looking for. They do make a few models that are more stripped down for what you want though. These are laser jet machines, not ink by the way. Most of their models will accept rolls internally and also a single sheet feed. We deal with Starr Image for the machines themselves and Washington Reprographics for the media. We go through 3 - 6 rolls of paper per machine per week though. I can give you some contact info if you’re interested in seeing what some local guys have. I know Starr Image is in Butler and they have models set out for display that you can test out.

Lexus1 - what company do you work for? We may be looking into a larger color laser plotter/scanner. I’d love to shop around.