Leads on 03+ SV650 [Stock or Prep'd] bike

I rised the question about getting into racing and what class I should be running to a racer in expert class. He bascially told me that alot of the cost are down to how much tires you will be using. obviously the higher the power, the higher the tire wear. I will at least need to have the bolts wired, new DOT race and may be race fairing.

The Middleweight (600) classes aren’t too terribly crazy, but they’re not cheap to race… tires are a big part of that budget.

The SV classes make for a very solid starting point and tires last a lot longer on a lightweight (I only went through 2 fronts & 3 rears all season last year at a solid expert pace). Lightweight Supersport, LW Superbike, LW Grand Prix, GTL and Thunderbikes are all good classes for the SV. I normally race LWSS, LWSB and LWGP and do pretty well, though I’m outpowered a bit by the other bikes in LWSB and LWGP.

There are a few classes that the sv can be running in the LRRS, and the class I am thinking of running in is the “Light weight Super Sport” in the Novice class, which is the cheapest to run. He said even with a stock sv running a set of DOT race tires, it will do very well in that class. I am more concentrated on trying to build my skills up at this point than getting a bike that is way faster than I am at (well at least for the track…). Those expert guys on their SV’s can clock Thunderbolt (with T3 chicane) in around 1:33, my time on a S1000RR on the same circuit is around 1:54…:rofl

So much to learn but it’ll be fun.