My Turbo E30 thread, ABORTED. info on page 7, post 170.

lol did you seriously put the head down on the valves

[quote=“brent_strong,post:80,topic:38701"”]

Wow, that thing looks way better. :lol: No longer 1/2" of scum on it.

[/quote]

<3 engine degreaser.

[quote=“Coldaccord,post:81,topic:38701"”]

lol did you seriously put the head down on the valves

[/quote]

lol no, its sitting up on little foam blocks on all 4 corners.

[quote=“cky89,post:78,topic:38701"”]

you think it would hold up fine after that?
thanks for the good idea, i’ll just get that done either next week or the week after depending on when it arrives.

[/quote]

mine did!

[quote=“cky89,post:82,topic:38701"”]

<3 engine degreaser.

lol no, its sitting up on little foam blocks on all 4 corners.

[/quote]

Really? cuz i dont see em…

[quote=“Viper966,post:84,topic:38701"”]

Really? cuz i dont see em…

[/quote]

Its sitting literally about 2mm off the bench top.

[quote=“Viper966,post:83,topic:38701"”]

mine did!

[/quote]

Good to know. definately gonna get it done then.

theres more helpful people on here than i thought.

Really random question…

Would it be of any worth to me to cut out the spare tire well in the trunk and just weld in flat sheet over the hole? it seems kinda useless to have that there when that could be 20-ish pounds i don’t need to be dragging around. or does it have any structural value?

prolly has a little structural value but nothing that a little tubing cant fix. I would keep it as leaving it adds no other things that you need to do. :slight_smile:

Brian

[quote=“cky89,post:87,topic:38701"”]

Really random question…

Would it be of any worth to me to cut out the spare tire well in the trunk and just weld in flat sheet over the hole? it seems kinda useless to have that there when that could be 20-ish pounds i don’t need to be dragging around. or does it have any structural value?

[/quote]

Probably doesn’t serve as much structural strength, but I would keep it, since it’s a little extra weight on the ass end of the car. Weight up front = bad, weight out back = not necessarily so bad. Either way you’re talking about probably under 10 pounds, and it’s not really worth the time in any case IMO.

[quote=“reliant_turbo,post:88,topic:38701"”]

prolly has a little structural value but nothing that a little tubing cant fix. I would keep it as leaving it adds no other things that you need to do. :slight_smile:

Brian

[/quote]

[quote=“95Z28,post:89,topic:38701"”]

Probably doesn’t serve as much structural strength, but I would keep it, since it’s a little extra weight on the ass end of the car. Weight up front = bad, weight out back = not necessarily so bad. Either way you’re talking about probably under 10 pounds, and it’s not really worth the time in any case IMO.

[/quote]

good points. just figured since the trunk needed a little work why not just do a new floor without it but i might as well just sand off the surface rust and repaint it flat black.

Getting the head gasket tomorrow.

later in the week or the week after for sure getting a fully assembled megasquirt and an intercooler…

by then the turbo package should be here so it’ll be mostly ready to get tossed on the car. hoping to be able to start the car before christmas, but we’ll see how things go.

the guy i got the turbo stuff from said he re-did the charge piping for me so it’s alot cleaner. he also sourced out EVERY single gasket i need minus the head gasket which i have already picked up later this week

the stuff will be here tuesday,so hopefully i’ll be able to build all of the stuff on the head and drop it all in at once.

a memeber on here is also hooking me up with a killer deal on a FMIC and 2.5in piping, megasquirt 2.2, 3 inch exhaust tubing, and some other goodies i should be picking up sometime soon…

I’m gonna try and get pictures up before i have to move garages AGAIN. finally with lighting and electricity so i can make some real progress.

what clutch are you going to go with? did you move your coolant reservoir to the other side? Any polyurethane mounts or anything? I have a 2.93 lsd i could sell ya. good luck with the build.

Not sure what clutch just yet. i gotta get the coolant resevoir hooked up soon. i may go solid mounts, and im not sure what rear end i wanna do yet, i was thinkin 3.73

So today I finally got my turbo setup. has EVERYTHING and more. pre tapped oil pan, EVERY gasket i need, vacuum lines, ect. the charge pipes were remade and re coated. they look so much better and are made nicer now. I’m gonna have the manifold checked out and re-welded this week sometime.

I’ll get some pictures up before the weekend.

when UPS came to my door they had 2 people carry the box in, and it all came in 2 boxes. the larger of the 2 was 100lbs lol.

[quote=“VANDIT,post:69,topic:38701"”]

i dont understand this thread, we have ourselves a pretty cool kid with a nice lookin project going on (reguardless of quality/durability), whom is prob. on a budget, this is a internet CAR forum, not a soap opera… give the kid help, not rip apart his build…

[/quote]

Looks to me like they are giving him help :tup:

cky89, how much do e30s weigh? It looks like a light car, we talking 2100lbs or so? How much power are you trying to get out of this setup?

Rick, 2600-2700 or more depending on spec.

[quote=“MPD47,post:97,topic:38701"”]

Rick, 2600-2700 or more depending on spec.

[/quote]

Just wondering, Is that full interior?

mines about as gutted as you can take it without getting unsafe and cutting things away. including tar that was on the trunk floor, and tar under where the rear seats were.

[quote=“Rx3,post:96,topic:38701"”]

Looks to me like they are giving him help :tup:

cky89, how much do e30s weigh? It looks like a light car, we talking 2100lbs or so? How much power are you trying to get out of this setup?

[/quote]

I agree,
and as for the power i’m really hoping to hit 350 for this summer. i guess we’ll see what it makes on the dyno. From what i’ve been reading i should be close to that with the setup i’ll be running.

Thanks for the good words everyone.

get some dry ice and crush it up and put it all over the tar. let it sit and get real cold, then you can just scrape it off and it will look better and ditch the weight.