Nerds help. Lightscribe CD burning, 4 drives.

What do i need to run 4 lightscribe drives at one time, all burning the same disc media and disc image.

Probably have a dedicated tower, I’ll manually change them.

Need to run 1000 discs.

Probably buy 4 drives from newegg and a case/power supply. Can i just hook them up to my home PC?

Would i want an IDE or SATA drive?

What else would i need?

Have you looked into a service doing this for you?

It might be a better idea.

Well, getting a CD pressed is about .89 a disc.

140 for 4 drives and a case/PS and 1000 discs is .42 cents each or so.

So $890 vs $420

(420 wassaaaa)

call disc makers, if this is for a band you can get them professionally pressed 1000 cds for like 1200$ its worth it because you can charge realistic for a proper cd.

http://www.diskfaktory.com/enter/009/default.asp?AffID=009&PakPage=FastPak&src=MFDF0000

I have had discs professionally made in the past. A ton of times, i know what that will cost. I want to do something DIFFERENT.

My question is, what HARDWARE will it take to run 4 drives at once?

I don’t want to buy this:

Nero can support multiple drives burning at the same time. I don’t think it matters if they are IDE/SATA/External/etc.

I have never done it, but I know that Nero 6 in the past supported multiple drives burning. I’m assuming the new versions do as well.

As for doing Lightscribe at the same time, no clue. Does Nero have the ability to do lightscribe nowadays?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=duplicator&st=

and then probably about 250 for 1000 lightscribe CDs

Yes it does…I do mine through nero.

<EDIT>

Product Features

* Supports HP LightScribe direct labeling drives - your search for easy LightScribe software is over!
<b>* Print to multiple LightScribe drives simultaneously!</b>
* Now supports partial transparency for images, text backgrounds and PNG images with alpha layers.
* Automatically align your printers with the Printer Alignment Wizard!
* Now reads data or backup CDs and creates an instant summary!
* Video DVD / Chapter support!
* Import art from tons of stock graphics or your own photographs
* Automatically import your music playlists such as iTunes or read the contents of your previously burnt CD into visually appealing arrangements. (Also reads MP3 CDs and data CDs and DVDs!)
* Create curved and spiral text!
* Easy wizards help create your CD/DVD/mini CD labels and CD jewel cases
* Supports 99% of stock CD labels and CD jewel case templates!
* Support for the new direct-to-CD printers!
* Support for DVD cases
* Supports Asian fonts!!!
* Supports JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIF, and more, including various digital camera RAW image formats

Burning the disc will only take a few minutes but lightscribe takes forever anytime i have used it for any small graphics i put on it.

Can’t i just piece together a tower + drives and hook it up to my PC?

I think i found the software that i need, so someone just tell me how to run 4 cd drives on my computer at the same time, please.

I’m guessing unless you have an empty tower that you can throw like 4 lightscribe burners in (around $20-25) You’ll be stuck getting one of those insane 1-to-9 burners.

<EDIT>

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Microboards-LightScribe-DVDCD-Premium-PRO-1-to-3?sku=501150

That seems to be the lowest priced multi burner your going to get outside of your computer. You could pass cd’s out to friends and have them copy them (with lightscribe of coarse). Tell Derrick to spring for one and cut down on their labeling costs.

That’s all i want to do. Tower + 4 drives is only about 150 bucks, 250 for media = .40 cents a cd.

That’s HALF what i’d pay elsewhere, about 500 dollars less

But how do i hook it up to my PC? what kind of cord do i need?

Well depending on what the motherboard looks like I would do 2 IDE drives and maybe two SATA drives.

Cables Needed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812106201 (x2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105910 (x1)

I have both if you do decided to go that route.

Newman, what kind of computer do you have?

How many SATA connections are available on the motherboard? Do you have any open IDE connections?

You can buy a PCI SATA card as well. Or, a PCI IDE card. That’s if you have no open spots to plug the drives into.

You’ll also need available power connectors for each and a power supply powerful enough to handle the extra load and also have enough connector cables.

How big is the power supply in your PC? If you have a cheap dell PC I dont think it can handle 4 cd drives.

Not to mention Dell PSUs are proprietary.

Eek. Don’t bother with a case. You’re going to have to run ATA cables between the two systems anyway so it’ll be easier to just let them flop around your desk. Assuming your computer has room for 4 more drives, which it might not.

I bet you’ve got 4 USB ports though. :wink:

Duh.

I’d spend another $60 for 4 of these guys, AC powered so no powersupply or tower needed.

Do they make lightscribe drives that burn the image without turning the disc over?

Burning 1k discs twice is going to be a pita.