New Challenger?

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber.html

ywah it looks like a damn aztec but if it is turbo awd maybe ford will think about a focus to do the same. instead of keeping all the good stuff overseas.

I like it.:tup:

:word:

I mean… I like those spy photos… kinda looks cool… but its nothing new, and it doesnt really excite me. Looks like the old charger.

I look at american concept designers, and japan concept designers and I see NO comparison. New skyline concept > *

Its all but been advertised that there should be one at the Detroit Auto Show in January. I’ll be going to take pics/vids. And The retro/futuristic battle is never ending, but having similarities to the most popular version of one of the most widely known cars in the world, would hardly ruin its heritage or name. I suspect from the multiple pictures of chris pauwels etc (outsider drawings deemed ‘close’ by those who have seen the real thing) that the new car should be stunning.

I’m going to Detroit just to see the Camaro concept. :slight_smile:
I hope it is retro. I’ll get a matching blue with white stripe to park side by side with my 69 Camaro (when its done)

I’ll be putting my cash down on the same one :tup: :tspry:

We should find out who else is going and meet up down there, there are a bunch of people from various boards going to see it

that looks hot

and i like the magnum. i could see myself scooping one

nevermind. that shit still doesnt come in stick?

Nowadays? It’s ALWAYS been that way…

This is not specifically addressed to you Jim, but everybody who is saying basically the same thing:

Is the new Charger not more deserving of the name than all of the cars Dodge was putting out in the 80’s? I think that it does exactly what the old car did. Same with the GTO. Thing is, they both actually are overall better performers than the old cars that everyone seems to obsess over. Yeah, I like the old cars, but it seems that you just can’t make something that pleases you guys lately. The big three have brought back V8 RWD cars for the masses, and all I ever hear is complaints.

As I said, I like the new Charger. I also like its sister cars, the 300C and Magnum. The new Charger shares more of the old car in spirit than it does in looks, really only the rear fender line and roofline are similar. The rest is all new. I’ve said my piece on the GTO a bunch of times in the past, and keep this little tidbit in mind when talking about how important the name is: They stole it from Ferrari, and it stands for Gran Turismo Omiligato (Grand Touring Homolgated, and GM didn’t even know what it meant when they decided to use it)

now adays ???

yea, because sharing a chassis betwen brands / models is a new thing … it only started like 100 damn years ago … so historicly speaking … its “new”

car companies today might not be as creative as they used to be (generaly speakin), but they sure are doing a fuck of alot better then they were in the late 70’s and early 80’s

the nice thing about cars is that anyone can buy a welder and change shit … if you think you can be more creative then get a welder, some sheet metal and some fiberglass and fuckin go for it

jesus christ … i love it when car people complain that cars arent rolling off the assembly line exactly how they would have built them

/rant

Ive heard those points before, but just because they let out some god awful charger in the 80s, doesnt mean anything better than that should get to use that name. It is THE name…Charger…To me that is pretty holy grail of all things car. It is obvious from the look that this new “charger” just isnt a charger. It isnt just the number of doors, its the whole package. Name it magnum coupe and I like it. And in this regard, the same goes for GTO. When a car with a storied history goes away for a long time, it cant come back without a single nod to its predecessor, and expect to just join the line. I think the GTO is more GTO than the Charger is Charger, but neither is right for their names. GTO made strides with the hood scoops etc, but it is evident what Charger should really be, bc they made it in 99. That concept had a hidden rear 2 doors like they wanted, but still looked like a charger, and would have made production in a similar form except for the bean counters (it also got pretty damn good response/reviews). So we know for a fact that this new “charger” is not everything it itself was meant to be.

All that said, I cant think of many cars that could possibly be considered better in their respective segments. But Id be very happy to see something like Challenger come back and show muscle car coupe style once again