Nissan studying turbochargers for future vehicles?

As much as we’ve grown to love Nissan’s award-winning line of VQ six-cylinder powerplants, reality dictates that time marches on and a replacement will soon be needed. According to Tetsuya Takahashi, a manager at Nissan’s Powertrain Engineering Division, a switch to smaller displacements may be in the offing along with a return to forced induction – much like what Ford has done with its EcoBoost series of engines.

I can seem find where I read it but a few years back, someone discovered that when you add a low boost system to a normally NA setup you could increase fuel economy. Of course they mean really low boost like the 3-6 PSI range, if my memory is correct, but the pressure allowed better atomization of the fuel/air mixture. Of course this also ment not driving it like you were racing (not spending all you time in high revs and max boost) but just causal driving. Sure it would be nice to see some factory turbo setups again but then again, North America does have this bad stigma of being given the less than exciting versions of a lot of nissan cars (look at the G20, Altima, 240sx, Pulsar).

Here’s to hoping :cheers2:

Whatever they come up with, Ryan and I will find a way to boost it, lol.:001_tt2: