No More Drinking & Driving For Toyota Owners (UPDATE: Now ALL Makes?)

Stupid? Says the person saying “u” vs “you”.

:cjerk:

So let’s say the car shuts you down when it detects you’re drunk. You happen to be on a busy highway, even if it pulls you over to the shoulder, what are you supposed to do? Walk? Yeah, that’ll be a nice lawsuit for the family of the owner who got hit by a semi because his Toyota stopped running.

Or you’re out in the middle of no where, in the freezing/snowy weather and the car shuts down on you, because it thinks you’ve been drinking.

Do not confuse my lack of faith in electronic aids in modern cars with defending drunk drivers. I have zero tolerance for it, anyone who knows me will attest to this fact. If I’ve had one drink, I dont get behind the wheel. HOWEVER, I like the RIGHT to make my own decisions.

Big Brother :tdown:

Fuck this. People need to take responsibility for their actions, not have some car manufacturer try to nanny them into making intelligent decisions. If you can’t handle driving sober, you can’t have a license.

More big brother bullshit. bad idea imo.

i agree, shit happens and maybe it will break

but its not like ur gonna get in the car, drunk, start driving, mosey ur way along onto the highway

then all of the sudden its gonna realize ur drunk and pull U over onto the side of the road. that would be a little bizzare. if anything its gonna notice this right away, and ur not goin anywhere.

+1 couldnt have said it better myself.

It’s just another way for people to not take responsibility for their actions. Rediculous.

^right on.

“I was wasted, but the steering wheel sensors werent working right so it let me drive the car and I got into an accident/dwi/whatever. I blame this all on Toyota, the car shouldnt have let me drive!”

ppl never take responsibility.

in a perfect world, ppl would understand the dangers of drinking and driving. Jailtime threats arent even enough.

besides, ppl get in drunk driving accidents and still manage to walk with just a fine and a slap on the wrist. i know of a few ppl that have(not that i condone it)

fact is, im glad to see that car companies are willing to step in help with the issues. Too many ppl die from drunk driving accidents, i think its clear that something needs to be done.

Yup. You force people to take responsibility. You don’t hold people’s hands and coddle them through life. There was a time where when you spilled McDonalds coffee on your lap you didn’t sue the place, you realized that you were a dumb shit and figured you would be more careful next time.

so how do u propose we go back to that time?

any better suggestions?

ppl are dying innocently because of stupid drunk drivers. in fact, in most cases the drunk driver doesnt even get killed, and innocent person gets killed.

so, using ur theories, how do we stop it?

so does it determine if your drunk or just had a couple drinks and buzzing.Arent states different for the legal limit?Will they have to adjust to each state.A big thumbs down from me.

I don’t even see the argument…if an auto company can do more to try and save lives and lessen the frequency of deaths that are indeed preventable that is NEVER a bad thing…I guess Airbags and ABS and impact zones all suck too.

I can see the point of not wanting “big brother” watching your every move…but saving lives > you guys having a car that you can autocross.

I just like that the autoworld is making moves to protect people from the one thing they really need it from…other people.

Good point…but i didnt think it was in the US yet…rereading the article it sounds like Nissan has something over here…but I have never heard about it.

Don’t let people sue for dumb shit anymore… that sounds like a good suggestion. Force them to take responsibility for their own actions. If I do something done I expect to pay the consequences. If I’m speeding I know if I get pulled over or get in an accident it’s my own dumb ass that did it.

stop plea bargining drunk driving charges

Wow!

Just another reason why not buy a Toyota now at days…

Yup. I know. They are a horrible company for trying to keep drunks from killing innocent people on the streets.

/sarcasm

LOL! Funny…

/Sarcasm

A lot of people made valid points about the system though. What if your playing the role of the designated driver and your driving a friend thats blitzed!

Fuckin car shut’s down?

Gay!

Don’t get wrong, I don’t agree with drunk driving.

I just think if that was the case, it would suck to be the Designated driver!

If this gets put in they should put in a sensor that states what road you are on and you can not go above the set speed limit, its the same god damn thing. :tdown: for forcing something upon us

is it just me that is questioning the validity of the article?

seems kinda far fetched if you ask me.