Porsche to build Bugatti killer

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/newm…omotive/28090/

Porsche Plans 950hp Bugatti-Buster

Written by: Autocar staff London, UK – 7/6/2006
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/111888_ppr.jpg

Carrera GT-based car is expected to target 254mph top speed. (Jerry Chung/Autocar illustration)

Porsche is poised to burst Bugatti’s bubble when it rolls out the fastest road car in the world in 2009 — and Autocar magazine has revealed how it expects it to look.

This radical supercar is expected to be dubbed GT1, and will be a 950hp, road-legal version of Porsche’s future Le Mans challenger. According to insiders, the target top speed is 254mph — a crucial 2mph faster than the claimed top speed of the 987hp Bugatti Veyron.

The core of the new car is the Carrera GT’s carbon fiber chassis, fitted with modified nose and tail structures. The interior is also based closely on the Carrera’s distinctive dashboard and center console.

Autocar’s exclusive illustration is drawn entirely from leaked official technical drawings of the car. Sources have also revealed that full-bore 950hp engines are under test, as well as work on weight distribution and aerodynamics, both of which will differ from the competition versions of the car.

One thing that’s not clear at this stage is how the massive slug of power will be delivered. One suggestion is that it would have to come from a turbocharged version of the Carrera GT’s V10 engine. However, other motorsport sources say it will be powered by an enlarged, twin-turbo, 5.5-liter version of the Cayenne’s V8.

In fact, Porsche is already racing a 600hp, normally aspirated V8 engine in the American Le Mans series with the Penske-prepared RS Spyder, and it’s expected to be adopted by Porsche’s own European Le Mans racer. However, Le Mans racers will switch to the closed-coupe format from 2010.
-Hilton Holloway /Autocar

We shall see in… 2009??? Fuck that.

^better than never

I wonder what the pricetag will be!

That car is beautiful to say the least.Prob. 1.5-2 mil

D

wow that looks pretty hot! I can’t wait until one is finally produced

Wierd that they are aiming for one of the companies they own stock in.

It’s all a game first there will be this in 2009 capable of 254 mph then in 2012 bugatti will hit 255+mph.

or Saleen will just up the boost again and add an intercooler on the S7 and blow both of them away.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/News/0,,1369-1372_1850946,00.html

I remember when they first started to race the s7 and they had a problem with wheels falling off the car randomly throughout races.

^^ how is matching the buggattis speed “blowing it away?”

Thats cause its a ford :lol:

The “standard” S7 matches its speed with way less power cause the veryron is a bloated pig.

The “new” factory modded one with more power blows it away.

The veyron is an inefficent mechanical mess its about time porsche showed them how its done.

I didnt know the s7 went 250mph out of the box…

(cus it doesnt)

New S7:

416+ km/hr > 400 km/hr

You are right the current S7 is gear limited to around 230. However the point I was trying to make is that the S7 matches its acceleration numbers and blows away its handling numbers.

you do know porsche owns 20% of VAG wich includes bugatti right? You do know that porsche helped in the design right? I think i would rather have the bugatti than the s7 just for the pimp factor. If your buying a car based on speed alone you might as well just buy a race car.

Actually its a Saleen

we’re never gonna drive any of these cars anyways :slight_smile:

Sure, GM once owned 20 percent of subaru. What we ended up with was a sabbaru. The dynamics of a relationship sometimes does not go beyond “limited” amounts of cooperation.

Not to heat anybody up but this is merely my opinion.

Cinches up flame suit… Here goes:

It would be an acheivement if the engine and drivetrain didnt weigh as much as the saleen s7 itself

It would be an acheivement if the Veyron didnt have the aerodynamic efficency of a ford explorer… I kid you not the CD is 0.41 !!!

It would be an acheivement if all the carbon fiber and magnesium alloy they used resulted in a car that weighed less than 4200 lbs.

It would be an acheivement if the dynamic spoiler system produced more downforce than a ricer civic (It only produces a scary 120lbs of downforce in topspeed mode)

The Bugatti Veyron is a story of a car being technically superior but FUNCTIONALLY inferior.

An advancement would be if it actually improved over an existing platform. It dosent. They used 16 cylnders and 8 liters of displacement 64 valves 8 camshafts 4 turbos in a W configuration, and it got bested by a core engine design that was used in the 1960’s that weighs half as much, running less displacment one camshaft 16 valves and 2 turbos with less boost. It shows how remarkably inefficent the design of the bugatti is.

If you threw 8 liters and 1.2 million dollars per unit at ferrari they would probably produce that number naturally asipirated.

Chasis wise the s7 produces its own weight in downforce and is lighter by more than 1000 lbs.

The bugatti with all its electronic flaps and spoilers only musters 770 lbs of downforce MAX and reduces it to 120 lbs in topspeed mode.

The S7 is amazing that they were able to reduce drag by 60 percent over the previous S7 YET increase Downforce so that at 160 mph it produces 3000 lbs of downforce and gives up NOTHING to reach 412 KPH. That is an advancement.

Making somthing as complex as humanly possible only to have it perform worse is a step backwards.

The best way to get from point A to point B is in a straight line, Bugatti drew a spiral.

Over-engineering does not impress me, personally I think its stupid.

I do wholehartedly agree on one thing. The Bugatti mainly is a status symbol more than anything else. It IS one sexy beast of a car. If I had millions of dollars of disposable income would I buy it? Sure.

Yeah I know it was a joke. Much of the technology especially in the engine is borrowed from ford.

dident McLaren do this like 12 years ago? geeze…