SFI Helmets and Jackets.

Planning (hoping) to run faster than 11.50 next year. Rules say a SFI or SNELL approved helmet and SFI jacket are necessary. A few questions:

1. Where did you buy yours?
    1a) Is there anywhere around here that sells them? So you can try them on first.
  2. Did you go with an open face or full face helmet?
  3. Is there any specific helmet / jacket combination that’s better for autocross and road racing as well as drag? Or is any NHRA/IHRA approved equipment good enough for SCCA, too?

Thx.

Helmets are needed for 13.9’s and faster.

Check Summit

I’ve used my full face M/C helmet at Keystone/PRP. Most of the better ones are Snell** of some sort.

You Ride a bike, don’t you Jay?

I have a bike helmet but it’s only DOT. I was at 2 different tracks this year where both tech inspectors said that the helmet didn’t technically pass. But since I was slow enough it would be ok. Faster than 11.50 they wouldn’t let me run.

That’s a good idea about Summit. Didn’t even think of that. They are only a couple of hours from here and might be worth a road trip. Do they have helmets and jackets in stock? I have only been there once.

Yes I would assume they have them in stock.

I got my gforce full face helmet from summitt, and I got my jacket from summitt as well. I have never had anyone check me on jacket and it is required for my car technically. I had a thread a while back while full face was better then open face in a wreck scenario. Something about the front providing a stopping point on your chest when your head went forward.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I just checked mine…It’s Snell M2000/DOT Certified. It is an HJC full face that I only paid like $79 or $89 for it a few years ago.

Summitusually has helmets & jackets, but I can’t remember if they have all the sizes to try on or not. Might want to call before you make the trip.

Thank god Im slow …that would be one big helmet

I don’t know how particular they would be but there are different snell approvals. M2005 is for motorcycles and SA2005 is for autoracing. The main difference as far as I know is that the autoracing helmets have fire retardant liners.

4 sizes smaller than Quiks!:bigok::hitit:

They are in the north, (gibsonia), its out of a private residence but they stock a LOT of stuff, I know quite a few people that got helmets from them… when I went, the road they were on was being repaved, so I could not get down it, and ended up at Crossroad Motorsports in Gibsonia instead…

Id say give them a call…

i have ran 11.1 at prp and quacker raceway with a helmet and lap belt. no roll bar, harness, or jacket and nobody ever said anything.

I had an HJC motorcycle helmet and it was comfortable. I thought it was more like $140 when I bought mine. (1999??) Been a while since I priced them out. That’s a good option for a helmet…

… will have to check on the snell ratings.

Will definitely check them out. $79.99 for a jacket sounds ok. They have a lot of helmets, too.
And fire resistant underwear. :rofl: Could be useful for normal daily activity.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=331

hmmm $50 bucks to protect ping and pong from a fire. sounds like cheap insurance to me

Probably go full face then. G-force jacket is 59.99 at summit. I like.