Some more fun "global warming" news.

I think all the general fartiness of the dinosaurs caused the first Ice Age

adam and eve fucked us really hard!
greedy bastards HAD to eat the fruit, we wouldn’t have this problem if it wasn’t for them.

Of course the oceans are cooling. Does your gin and tonic get warmer as the ice in it melts?

it gets more watery… lol (Which would be related to sea level rising. which they are not) so there :stuck_out_tongue:

Over 2/3rds of the earths heat is stored in the oceans. The ocean should be getting warmer if there is some sort of epic global warming happening

Bro. Water expands when it freezes, right? So it logically contracts when it melts. Therefore, melting ice caps = dropping sea levels. Amirite?

if the whole ocean was all ice and it melted, yes the level would be lower. and vis versa
But since it is water, and the ice melts, you are adding to the water level

I honestly can’t even read that.

i fixed it

In 2013 when we reach solar maximum and the temperatures go up a hair they’ll be screaming bloody murder again.

we’re all gonna die in 2012 anyways

Kind of have to give the good oll +1 on this one.

FRY, just stop. Debo just doesnt get it. I had a similar conversation with a
hillbillie in kentucky. He gave me the same explenation about a glass with ice cubes.

On a side note not all glaciers are on water. Also one has to wonder about the density of glacial ice.

Cool story bro.

Put a glass of water with no ice cubes in it
Put a glass of water with ice cubes in it
Watch the ice cubes melt

Add the two cups together

YOU HAVE MORE WATER

Water just above freezing point is actually more expanded than water when it is frozen, so if the water is cold enough still (which is should be) it will actually be a higher.

Why do you think when we get 8 feet of snow, and all of a sudden it decides to be 50degrees out, there are flash flood warnings. [sarcasm] OH NOES. The creek water level goes up? That doesnt make sense! It should go down! Why would adding water to water make it rise! This cant be the same as glaciers melting![/sarcasm]
Where do you think and entire MILE thick of ice on antarctica is going to go?

:picard:

In my glass? No but really. Dense ice caps melt. Ice goes poof, space displaced by ice disappears, water pours into empty space. Now take the water that was formed by the melting ice caps and pour it into the ocean. Now your water level is is probably back to what it is at its current stage. Now lets throw in some theoretical work here. I am willing to bet that a 1"x1" cube of ice from one of the ice caps acquired from lets say 100 or more from within the cap is probably a bit heavier then the 1"x1" ice cube found in my refrigerator.

You yell bs and wip your dick out in an attempt to measure weeners. You yell that liquids cant be compressed yada yada yada…

I agree with the fact that liquids cant be compressed. BUT. Ice is now a solid…Hold on sparky dont speak yet…A pretty little refrigerator ice cube has pretty little air bubbles that I bet are lacking a little bit in ice cap ice due to the ice being crushed by…you guessed it, more ice. So this in turn makes ice cap ice, more dense. So inturn a 1"x1" ice cube from the ice caps can potentially produce a bit more water then a 1"x1" ice cube from a freezer. I am sure some genious on here will prove me wrong but keep in mind that this is just me using my tired old naugin.

So now that we have the ice caps out of the way lets think elsewhere. After all the world is bigger then our back yards right?

Ok how about glacial ice? Ya know, the ice in New Zealand? Where does that go when it melts? You guessed it. My glass. Plenty of melty stuff world wide that could cause a problem provided that temps go up a bit.

Speaking of glaciers, I thought this thread was going to be about the melting Himalayan glaciers that the IPCC now admits are not melting as fast as they thought…

"The controversy centers on a paragraph in Chapter 10 of the 2007 report which states: "Glaciers in the Himalaya are receding faster than in any other part of the world, and if the present rate continues, the likelihood of them disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high if the Earth keeps warming at the current rate. Its total area will likely shrink from the present 500,000 to 100,000 square kilometers by the year 2035. "

A glacier expert interviewed by CNN explained that the data published was flawed.

Michael Zemp from the World Glacier Monitoring Service said: “There are simply no observations available to make these sorts of statements.”

Zemp says that the figures quoted in the report are not possible because 500,000 square kilometers is estimated to be the total surface area of all mountain glaciers worldwide.

“The other thing is that the report says the glaciers are receding faster than anywhere else in the world. We simply do not have the glacier change measurements. The Himalayas are among those regions with the fewest available data,” Zemp said."Link

"All the mistakes appear in a sub-section that suggests glaciers in the Himalayas could melt away by the year 2035 - hundreds of years earlier than the data actually indicates. The year 2350 was apparently transposed as 2035."[Link](http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hjukTxpZhKYpo7eMDY2_nDr6MjPw)

Dude. I’m talking about ice that is on land masses lol
i understand water displacement

Al Gore predicted a 20foot sea level rise because of melting ice caps, ice on landmasses, ice on everything. It’s not even close to that. The IPCC actually lowered there predictions after 2 years after coming out with their initial predictions for the entire century

Arctic ice levels have been increasing over the past 30 years… dependent on the months, sometimes its slower to freeze back over

I Also find it hilarious that on those pictures of the ice caps, one is an average of all seasons for 30 years, and the other is during september, which is the season low for ice. It’s actually the lowest part of the cycle

ummm if you want the information to be accurate, you will. This is especially upsetting if its true that they are only using one thermometer for the entire fuckin country. Canada is huge.

by the way earth isnt the only planet whos polar caps seem to be receding

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

but this is also old news

All scientific bullshit aside. I do remember winter when I was little and the amount of snow we used to get. IDK it just seems like winters are getting more and more mild.

On a side note since Mars ice caps are melting anyone wana go rafting in a few decades?

Naw you just got bigger. Snow drifts as high as your head aren’t that impressive when you’re only 2 feet tall.