some recent stuff from synapse

skillz ta pay them bills.

Question from a wanabe tigg-welder.

Quick rundown on machine setup? Amps, steady or pulse (foot or machine), tungsten type, dia, grind, cup size/type, etc. Also on the technique… keep it cold I assume, inch here, post flow, cool, inch there, post flow, cool… etc?

thx man!

~100 amps, steady, gold or red, 3/32, sharp legs 2.5x the dia, #12 ceramic cup

i do about 2 inches at a time and purge 8-20 secs depending on how hot the base metal is. no cool down time in between

^ Mike just for reference he’s stating Lanthanated(gold) or Thoriated(red) tungsten. I like using the lanthanated for just about everything, even aluminum. Also note it looks like they’re using a heavier wall pipe fitters type tubing, which requires that ~100amps. 16ga would drop down around 60-65amps

Def some steady work there guys :tbu

its 16ga, i just move fast… haha it might be as low as 80 by the end of the weld but def no lower than that. I direct the heat into the flange and let the puddle flow up onto the tube. Ya i use lanthanated for everything, but red works too

thanks for the compliments guys

On the header? That looks alot thicker than 16ga

Oops I now see the other pictures of the DP as well with the vband flanges, yeah that would get a bit more juice to get moving.

I’d love to see some nice intercooler mount fabrication. cough cough

Amazing welding/fab skills ITT. Strong work.

Thanks for the setup info man.

And yeah I am loving the Gold too. I bought 2 packs of 1/6th and 2 of 3/32 and chucked all the other msc ones I had. Works perfectly for everything like you said, well worth the slightly higher price. Helps when the color band rubs off and you have no idea what they were… now I know!

Man 100 amps on 16ga, you must cruise around the pipe! I wish my hands were steadier, i guess growing up with BMX, Motocross, and skiiing park/pipe takes its toll on your joints after a while! I could never pinstripe either! LOL To get consistant uniformed welds i cant go very fast, so I am around 90 pipe to flange and 65 for butt joints pipe to pipe. And like you said tapering off towards the end of my string when the heat gets into the material. once I start to see a tiny bit of undercut, or the puddle gets a bit too big, even after I backed off the pedal, i fade out and post flow it for 17sec, then go at it again.

i only use around 100 amps on the flange weld… i thought thats what u were asking about haha. on the 16ga butt welds i use about 60-65. all my numbers are estimates because i leave my welder on 185 amps all the time and control the heat with the pedal.

Yeah i follow ya. its ok. I find that my pedal ramps up too fast if I dont set a max amp. I just feel like a tiny difference in pedal makes too big a change in amps if I were to run it full bore. TA185.

I welded a flared pipe in a T6 flange last night, Ill snap a pic and post it in one of my other threads as not to clutter this one up, and you can tell me what i can do better if you would. :slight_smile: I need a bigger cup, I only have a 8 cup for my gas lens. so my trailing welds the farther I go, seem to be lacking shielding as they cool, and i progress ahead.

http://www.synapseturbo.com/gallery/cache/977e2981717bb45474bd7b6b0558ca9623d286b2_800.jpg

http://www.synapseturbo.com/gallery/cache/4c30d275d9f8394f680ca8317f2f3f0a35974134_800.jpg

hemi twin turbz?

What the hells gonna be able to dig race that thing?

I just drooled on myself, now it looks like I pissed my pants.

my jetta with wheelie bars! lol yeah right.

Wow that thing is crazy

What is this? Chrystler 300?
looks badass

looks like an srt8

Looks like a dodge nitro srt4