Steer Safe Allows Drivers to Integrate Phone into Steering Wheel

This is exactly what we all need :facepalm

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/news/steer-safe-allows-drivers-to-integrate-phone-into-steering-wheel-37955_1.jpg

How many people use their phone when driving? Theoretically nobody, because it is dangerous and in most cases illegal. But we all know that most of drivers use their mobile phones on a daily basis when at the wheel.

It is safe to say that most of us have had the need to use our phones while driving. there were probably some occasions when receiving a particular important call or text message required immediate attention while driving. For 99.9 percent of drivers out there who are doing this but won’t admit it there is even an accessory that will help them do that. The Steer Safe accessory creators assure that it is in compliance with the laws of the Department of Transportation which we suppose to make it legal when driving.

More specifically the Steer Safe is an accessory for your phone and it should be compatible with just any phone. It attaches onto the top part of your steering wheel and even supports landscape mode. The purpose of the accessory is to make the mobile phone available for use while driving without taking your eyes from the road.

Also, it comes in handy when using a mobile phone instead regular navigation with the digital maps being in front of the driver right on the steering wheel. It’s worth mentioning the fact that the gadget is not yet in production as it is a Kickstarter project. Its creators are aiming for $20,000 funding before they will be able to send it in mass production, as related by ubergizmo.

Who wants to be the first to die while trying this thing out?

First headline: “Tween passenger dies because driver “couldn’t turn the steering wheel to turn””

Last confirmed text read “I’m crashing LOL, brb”

:Idiots

I’ll be the first to admit that I text when I drive. But damn, this is just stupid.

Arguably, if you’re going to text while driving this seems like a better setup.

Eyes don’t look as far down if it all. No need to occupy a hand to hold the phone, likely more efficient typing, etc.

Texting while driving is dumb, though I have done it on occasion I really do not like to. A lot of times I don’t even like taking phone calls.

Was down in NYC, my car got towed, one of the guys that was down there I went to hang out with was giving me a ride to the impound lot, had his phone in the windshield mount, was leaned forward texting his wife while navigating like a fucking lunatic through NYC traffic. It was the most amazing and terrifying thing I have experienced in my life that he was able to do so without crashing driving like he was :rofl

I wonder what would happen if I had that and told Siri to take the wheel?

Siri would instantly crash, while bitching you out.

TEXTING WHILE DRIVING DOESNT KILL PEOPLE. its people who cant multitask and remember keystrokes. See point and peck typers, who cant type without looking at the keyboard either.

The keyboard phones, NOT touch screen (ill get back to this) a competent person can text a book out without even looking at the phone. Or at the very least a bunch of words and a quick glance to see what they typed. NO different than punching the seek button on the radio a bunch of times, then glancing over to see what station you landed on.

Touch screens. I can 100% see why people crash texting with and i-phone or droid. I just got a Galaxy II with a touch screen. My old phone a BlackJackII I could text all day and not have to look at it at all, not even flinch with my driving.

I will be 100% honest with you now, me texting while driving with this touch screen is absolutely fucking dumb for me doing it. you fat finger the shit out of it, and cant feel the keys at all so you have to stare at the fucker to get a word out. (atleast I do sofar) I drift out of my lane ALOT when I am fucking around with it and tell myself “Man I suck at this”… I tried it for the first week and said “yep I can see why people get killed with these things” and dont do it anymore unless its a simple 1 or few word reply. and I put it on blind bastard keyboard size keys.

i hit the little microphone button on my droid and do speech to text to reply to texts :smiley:

yeah i am still playing with that.:number1

The auto salvage pool (we bring in wrecks for insurance companies and auction them off) has been doing pretty well these last few years. Seems like there was a bit of a down turn for a few years when they started going after all of the drunks. Lately though business has been good. I attribute it to cell phones and texting while driving. Let’s face it, there are people that can’t drive and chew gum at the same time, let alone text…While I really do not want to see people get hurt, strictly from a business perspective…I hope they sell millions of these things!

Texting is now the most common and most used distraction to date as people feel that they have to reply instantly. Whether by reflex or lack of logic.

Doesn’t help the fact that majority of texting while driving is done by least experienced drivers

Exactly vlad.

My car has hands free bluetooth. :ahh

This contraption looks retarded.

all phone now a days have speak-to-text. WHY THE FUCK DON’T YOU MORONS USE IT?

actually that depends…my phone used to but since i rooted it, i lost a lot of things like navigation (which i was able to redownload) but i havnt found the APK for speak to text. (though i havnt looked much)

I love my SIRI I just tell it what to type and who to send it to and it gets the job done. However before I had my IPhone I used to do the both hand through the top of the wheel so that if something happened I could get out of the way or still turn. Looking back on it im still surprised I havent ended up in a ditch while doing that.

Yea I usually use mine, the more you use it the better it gets a recognizing your speech pattern.