Toyota on course with 2014 Supra

I like how they plan to retain the classic FR layout, just not sure how close they can match R35’s performance. An “instrument of speed” may not be what the target audience of the Supra crowd wants.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9517/carphoto48444125.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8629/carphoto48443525.jpg

CONCEPT ILLUSTRATION. NOT ACTUAL CAR.

Toyota is readying a long-awaited successor to the legendary Supra, Auto Express has learned.

The company is developing a high-performance supercar, and is currently testing a prototype with a 3.5-litre V6 hybrid drivetrain that generates around 400bhp.

Styling inspiration for the new flagship coupe comes from the FT-HS – a concept that was first revealed at the Detroit Motor Show in 2007. The rear-drive newcomer is expected to target the Nissan GT-R in terms of performance and price.

However, while the car is certainly under development, according to an insider Toyota accountants “aren’t keen to push the project too hard”. They are waiting to see how buyers receive the new GT 86 – the new coupe co-developed with Subaru – in order to gauge whether there is demand for fast Toyotas.

Engineers are putting more effort into readying a roadster based on the 4WD GRMN, which was revealed at the Tokyo Motor Show. This is also powered by a 3.5-litre V6 hybrid system, and the production version could arrive in showrooms by late 2014 if it’s given the green light.

There is one issue for product planners to resolve, though. They are in the final developmental stages of a Lexus IS coupe that will use the same powertrain – and Toyota doesn’t want the two cars to compete against each other.

source: autoexpress

A bigger GT 86?

Wow thats absolutely hideous

Cow pusher.

hopefully for the sake of the original, they don’t call this a supra

New GT86 looks like a really nice car. Light, RWD, 6 spd, decent motor.

this design will change 10x before it’s released, I don’t have any high hopes it will even get released.

that is bar none the ugliest rear end ever even considered for a car.

MK4 Supra > This monstrosity.

stylistically
Ford Edsel > this ugly ass thing

It doesnt even look like the hood or trunk opens in those sketches

+1.

looks like someone ate it and regurgitated it.

horrible. i hate how they wanna use a part hybid setup. the supra was thre “supercar” and it should be treated as one not that^^^ pretty dumb

They need to toss that and redo the mk4 again with suttle susp changes etc . I wish they could get a 2j to actually meat our emmisions

Yeah the last Gen supra plus some enhancements and be done. This hybrid nonsense is stupid.

to be fair, they are making hybrid supercars. but this is just such an ugly. they don’t need to make a bigger gt-86. then it would just be a GT touring. the supra was not a GT touring car, and should not be recreated as such

Fuck a hybrid.
I don’t have dreadlocks, eat gronola, smoke pot, and like Phish.

neither do all the people who will be driving these things

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/07/porsche-918-spyder-07-28-2010.jpg

the style of the car is awful, but the power train can still be nasty

True, but it would be cool if it was a 450HP inline 6 from the factory.

with fuel economy where it is, using hybrid tech in all cars, economy or supercars, is going to become a common trend. that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing, you can still upgrade motors and play with things. It just means they need to get more mpg’s around town and highway.