Tranmission question

hello everyone
sorry, im still very new to the 300zx scene

I was wondering how difficult is it to change an automatic to a manual transmission. I only ask cause most of the 300zx’s for sale are all automatics.

On my civic its a pain in the ass, pretty much not worth doing. Is this true for the 300zx as well?

can a JDM tranny fit in a NA 300zx?

thanks in advance guys

I assume you’re talking about the Z32??

In that case, it is difficult but no where near as difficult as a civic. If you intend on doing it with the engine in, the only “out of the ordinary” tool you will need is a drive extension that spans 3 to 5 feet. It is necessary to get the two top bolts at the top of the transmission that bolt the tranny to the engine.

All the rest is like changing a manual tranny in a RWD car. I did it with member Hanzzzzz on member Shorteaz Z32 a few months back and it was a straightforward swap. Member Bountywolf has done it to his car and mentioned there is some electrical work involved. I did not do any electrical work on Shorteaz’s car and it has been working fine since September 2007.

The JDM Tranny is the same. The only difference is between the NA tranny and the TT tranny. The belhousing is slightly larger on the inside of the TT tranny to compensate for the larger flywheel. You can still however put an NA tranny on a TT engine and Vice Versa by either grinding down the inside of the bellhousing of the NA tranny to fit over the TT flywheel along with shimming the starter outwards, or grinding the surface of the starter mounts on the TT tranny to engage with the NA flywheel.

Not trying to thread jack or anything but I had the same question with regards to my alti. Its an '02 2.5S 4AT and looking to grab a 5MT off of a 2.5S. How hard is this? Whats required? Is it worth doing?

the 05-06’s are a superior pain due to being OBD3
but yours is obd2

probably just the standard items
these are common in any swap but possibly not necessary in yours.

master cylinder and reservoir
linkages
clutch pedal (sometimes all pedals)
clutch flywheel pressureplate (duh!)
tranny crossmember (50/50 chance it needs swapped to a 5spd specific)
tranny mounts (80% chance)
hole in floor/console needs changing mod’ing (30% chance on newer cars)
ECU and or TCU if they are separate units then both (60% chance)
Gage cluster (some newer cars/computers need to communicate with it)

MOST OF THE TIME its just a strait swap and computer swap on newer cars tho…

this is because they learned to make the crossmembers the same but with different mounts…or extensions. etc

the newest OBD3 cars need all computers and the gage cluster swapped as they all communicate with eachother making sure that they all have the same “PASSWORDS / KEY” as installed/programmed at the factory…

my 06 alti requires a full reprogram of any computer to have the “passwords / KEY” set to match the others in the system…so I cant buy another computer with different mileage and just install it to defraud the dealer or you…as this has become very common with the way people rack up mileage these days and the way dealers like to sing people $0.25/km over when they return a car from lease…

some companies are charging $0.33/km…this is $3300 for every 10,000 over the lease allowance…

I do seeeerrrriiiooouuussss km’s so I gotta buy my car out so I dont get raped by these charges